Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

oil in my air box

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in my air box

Was looking at my buddy's Predator today and He had oil in his airbox too. I ride a Banshee so I don't really know a lot about his ride.

I'd like to help him out.. What lines are you guys re-routing and making longer?

Old 05-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

There is a hose that runs from the airbox down to the motor. Did his Predator have a lot of oil in the box, or just film? Most just have film, there isn't a one way valve in there, so the fumes from the hot oil go up into the airbox through that breather tube and leave a film/oil residue.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

There was a lot of oil in there. Well, what I would call a lot. When we pulled the little plug at the bottem it ran out for a good 5-6 seconds. I saw the tube running from the engine to the Airbox and figured that's where it's coming from. We cleaned the airbox out and them went to the track for about an hour. When we were done we checked it again and sure enough there was some oil in there. The thing that worries me is that it's milky. I asked him if he went through some deep water and he said no. But it sure does look like it.... Anyway I looked in the oil box and stuck my finger in it and that wasn't milky. But would it be if there was water in the case? The oil would float to the top and the water would stay down in the case right? I told him I tought he soild change his oil just to be on the safe sid for this weekend.

Thanks for the help. You Polaris guys aren't half bad after all[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
J/K I'm not as brand loyal as most of these guys around here!

Old 05-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree, change the oil to be safe. But you never know, the oil in the box is vibrating around and any moisture in there, it be water or gas, will cause it to look milky.

Old 05-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Theres nothing u can really do except re-route the over flow line. Im a pro at cleaning my airbox in under 8 minutes now from the rolling this winter. Pain in the *** but it happens. Sadly i spent almost as much in oil as i did on gas this winter. The overflow line leads right into the airbox. U can drain it with the little hole in the bottom by pulling the plug, then just wipe out the box. If it was rolled clean the filter too.