Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rubicon ground clearance???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2000, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I think it was Yamaha that started all this misinformation about ground clearance when it boasted that the Griz had something like 10”. In fact, I just checked their website for specs and it says the Griz has 10.6” of ground clearance. I’m sure it does, measured from somewhere. But certainly not at the lowest point near the center of the machine. That’s misleading and an outright lie.

Without huge tires it would be very hard for any solid rear axle machine to have much more than 8” of clearance under the skid plate for the rear transfer case. (you can call it a pumpkin, but none that I know of is a differential) I suspect Honda and Yamaha are using the same tape measure for their advertised specs. What really gets me is these so-called “reviews” that only repeat the factory supplied specs and don’t offer us real numbers. If they’re going to take the factory’s word for something that’s obviously a lie then what else are they telling us in these “reviews” that’s just an echo of the factory propaganda line?

Old 05-11-2000, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

Why are Polaris guys all worried about the Rubicon anyway? I mean, they always say how Polaris is the best and all, so what threat will the Rubicon be right? You Polaris dudes ARE worried about the Rubicon and people must be really blind sighted if they can't tell from your posts about the new Honda.

Old 05-11-2000, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

bigred, I couldn't agree with you more - I think there is a little intimidation going on. As for Mudmachines remarks regarding his displeasure with honda guys in the polairs forum . . . I would direct your comment toward the guy who started this thread. Why talk about the rubicon's ground clearance in the polaris forum in the first place?? Give us a break, there is no rule stating that we can't cross over the different brands forums and post our comments, what fun would that be anyway.

Old 05-11-2000, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Big_Red, if you’re referring to my comments in the post about misinformation I think you missed the point. It just pisses me off when manufacturers stretch the truth for the sake of sales. Like when Yamaha describes the Griz as being “liquid cooled.” They mean oil, not water, but name me anyone else who makes an air cooled motor who calls it liquid cooled. This is misleading, and the so-called reviewers that just go along for the ride on these lies aren’t doing their job.

The Rubicon is obviously aimed at the auto tranny market so comparisons are bound to be made. I can’t imagine why any Polaris owners would be worried about it. If there is any cause to be concerned it would be on the part of the manufacturers not the owners. The Rubicon incorporates some new and as yet unproven technology. Hell, if it turns out to be a better bike than my Sportsman I’ll buy one. I want what I consider to be the best tool for the job at hand. Right now I think I have that but if a better one comes along I’ll consider changing. It doesn’t matter to many of us what name plate is on our equipment, just that it does the job.

I just bought a Honda 4-stroke outboard motor and this thing is fantastic! Quiet, smooth and powerful. And it’s not even broken in yet. But I’ll tell you a dirty little secret about it (IT HAS GREASE ZERKS!) hehehe

Old 05-11-2000, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Ill say it again I happen to like my Sportsman so im going to keep it. I hope the Rubicon does well as it can only help the entire atv market. I dont know of any Polaris owners that are worried about it either,I think most of them would say Good Luck Honda. They may even buy one down the road. Lets quit all the bickering and just ride,because if my mighty Sportsman breaks down or gets stuck I dont care if ya pull me out or back with a jacka$$ just get me back on track. Floodrunner is right Honda makes grear products make one heck of a generator.!!

Old 05-11-2000, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Back to the ground clearance thing I was just woundering if the size of the tire makes a difference in ground clearance does the type of tire also.I have only seen pictures of these Vampire tires but they look like there lugs are over a inch high! These tire make my stock tires look bald ,do these hight lugs help with ground clearance?

Old 05-11-2000, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

No, the lugs are included in the diameter.

As for The GC measurments from Bob. I must be blind or Bob an editor of posts cause I swear he was adding an inch at a time in the that post! If I was blind, sorry Bob!

Also I don't mind a bit who comes or goes in any forum. The more the merrier I say!

The only thing I worry about regarding quads is "I hope I get time to go this weekend" Certainly not "Is the Rubicon going to be better than my Quad". I don't care about better. I just care I have something to ride, somewhere to ride it, and some quading buddies to ride and enjoy riding with!

Glenn.

Old 05-11-2000, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

does polaris measure their ground clearance from the lowest point on the Sportsmans underside? I think not.

if your gonna jump on other manufacuters for releaseing misinformation then don't forget the manufacturer of your quad also......
no flames intended just reporting facts

Old 05-11-2000, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Couldn't find my polaris specifacations book,but the MAY 00 "4wheel ATV ACTION" page 65.2000 SPORTSMAN 500,in the article it says 13inches Ground clearance.That is measured at the rear skid plate,nothing said about the lowest point I repeat the rear skid plate.It's the same as HONDA if they measured at the lowest point wouldn't be near as impressive.CM

Old 05-11-2000, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I'm gonna start measuring mine at the highest point, somewhere around the handlebars.

Quick Reply: rubicon ground clearance???