Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 questions?????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 questions?????????

Ok let me start off by saying I think I have selected the best manufacture for my application...

I am stuck between a SP700 and a scrambler 500.

I have been looking mostly at the SP, but I still have some unanswered questions on the scrambler.

1.Does the scrambler have the same 4wd system as the SP?

2.Does anyone go serious 4wheeling with a scarmbler? If so please post how the atv handled, and if it made you very dirty. I'm not a clean freak, but I can see that it wood look as if a lot of mud might come off those tires in the front and get in my eyes or beyond my clothing.

How would these 2 machines match up in a race. I would think the scrambler would be a bit faster and handle jumps where as the Sp will do better hill climbing and be much stiffer. Top speeds?

Have you seen a scrambler with a BIG Wheel kit on it? Was it horable?

Any info on this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Old 05-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

The 4wd is basically the same between the two, the 700 4wd activation all takes place inside the front gear housing, were the Scrambler activation takes place in the hubs. Basically the same, they just moved it, the hubs are prone to problems if maintenance is not kept up on them. The Scrambler will throw quite a bit more mud on you I would say than the 700, you are right about the front fenders not covering the tires well. Racing, they may average out about the same but the Scrambler will get there a little quicker. I would think the Scrambler would be better suited for jumping and fast trails, but the 700 should do fine in the same situation. If you are planning to do alot of mudding and possibly some towing or other work with the ATV, I would probably go with the 700. This is speculation on my part as I have not ridden a 700 but have heard much about it. I could be wrong with some of my answers.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with NC, If your going do be doing any work or a lot of mudding with the quad you would be much better off with the SP 700. I purchased a set of fender extenders from my local dealer and when I do hit the mud holes I get no where as muddy as before, if you do get the 500 I would recomend them. My neighbor just got a new SP 700 but I haven't had a chance to ride with him yet, it is an impressive machine though.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

NCScrambler: WOW!! I can't believe you would be so modest as to the performance differences between the Scrambler's and 700's!! I'm a Scrambler owner also and I can say from experience the Scrambler 500 will spank a 700 all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. If you're not trying to brag I understand, but......WOW!! Also, I have ridden the 700 and would not recommend jumping unless you're an expert rider....that thing is a tank.

Ryankmiller: NC's correct about getting dirty, however. You can not ride through wet grass without getting soaked. I have self made fender flares that make the ride tolerable. If you are gonna use the bike for anything aproaching utility, I would suggest not getting a Scrambler. They are not made for it and although I have used mine for this purpose, it lacks a great deal to be desired. So long story, short..... determine what your primary use is gonna be (recreation or utility) and purchase accordingly. Just my $.02.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, like I said, I have never ridden one and I was just giving that 700 motor the benefit of a doubt!! LOL.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, thanks for all the replys. I think Most of my riding is going to be for fun. I do not live on a farm or any other sort. I have a 3.5 acre lot with streams, mudd, and big hills, and my buddies have strictly 4x4's. One that thinks he is top dog has a prarie 650or 660 what ever it may be. He smokes all his buddies. They all have big cc's. They mostly go mudding. I just want to keep up with them or maybe even be able to get out in front. What I did like most is. My buddie and I went out in a snow storm last winter and I was riding another friends 4x4 and we were climbing hills with 12 in. of snow on them. I think I am still more on the SP side even know I do not do so much utility. I don't know anything on any bike. All I know is what I read and see. I have never owned a quad. I have only been able to ride one very few and far between.

I am a little leary on The SP because of the horror stories I have read about slipping belts and leaking plastic water pumps. I hope these problems are not as comen as I hear on some forums.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Man, those problems are few and far between. With any 4wd Polarisd you can climb hills that most other quads can't climb because of the true 4wd. If you are more into sports and wanting to beat those other guys and still have good versatility, go with the 500, just put the fender extensions on it. Which ever one you chose, I am sure you will love it.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are thinking about a new Scrambler I would wait and see what comes out next year.My dealer told me that this was the last year for the 500 4x4 Scrambler but he didnt know what was going to replace it.Dont take that to heart but it iss hear say.What do you think they will do?

Old 05-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have been waiting on the next best thing in quads. I was looking for an independant rear in a prarie, or maybe a bigger scrambler. I am realy surprised other manufactures have not gone with the sport look like a scrambler. But then again I am not marketing specialest. I myself would like to see a little more sport LOOK in some of these quads. I must say IMO the Polaris has my vote in looks, and I also like the looks of the Rincon.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

The Scrambler actually does a fairly good job of keeping the mud off (for a sport quad). The full floorboards are pretty nice. And I haven't seen a SP 700 run, but my brother has a 2002 Scrambler 2x4, and it is surprisingly fast. The dealer said the top speed is around 70. And it is very good on trails as long as they aren't too narrow. The seat and riding position are very comfortable. The steering is heavy, but not tiresome. It can be ridden all day and then some. I would reccomend it over the SP 700 for sure, unless you're going to be working with it.

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 questions?????????