Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can someone clear this up for me once and for all?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone clear this up for me once and for all?

Greetings everyone!

I have gotten back into the sport this month and purchased a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. I really love this machine for the most part but I have a few questions I am sure you guys can answer.

First

What is the "break in" stage? I mean how many hours before I can really open it up and see what this machine has. I have been babying it around my house and fields so far and I have 30 miles and alittle over 4 hours on it. The manual says break in period is three hours, my dealer said dont worry and just drive it and I have read as long as 10 hours. When is it safe to open this machine up?

Also

Will the machine "loosen up" so to say after riding it more and more. The top end seems to come slow and like I am making the machine work hard. I guess this is the break in period?

Also anyone in here from MAINE or know of any good riding let me know!

Thanks a lot guys!

Old 05-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

Break in depends. For you to open up its only a couple of hours. Heck I think on my 500 I drove it around about an hour before I opened up and maxed it out. But for the full riding breaking in it takes about 24 hours (of riding time). By this time you will do an oil change and already put a bit of gas threw it and everything. But if you already have about 3 hours on it go ahead and open up on it. They will fly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

i recall reading in my manual that you should not operate the quad full throttle for extended periods. i babyed the thing around for about one hour & then i opened it up. chances are, your quad is wanting you to nail it.

Old 05-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

Dude,

Let her rip... My dealer told me to drive the **** out of mine. I just don't open it up for long periods of time. I've had mine for a little over a month now. Make sure when mud bogging and driving up steep hills to put it in Low Gear. I learned the hard way and almost burnt my belt in two.

Chief

Old 05-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hours 0-3 vary your speed and rpm - don't let it get too hot, stay away from full throttle operation.
Hours 3-5 drive normally don't drive extended periods at hight speed - don't let it get too hot.
hours 5-10 you should be in the clear - again excessive heat could still cause problems.
change fluids at 10-15 hours depending on driving conditions.

Polaris stresses the importance of a proper break-in proceedure, being conservative during your first few hours of operation will pay off in the long run.

Enjoy, you picked a good machine !

Old 05-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a lot guys! I feel better about opening it up alittle bit now. Just cant wait to get past that 10 hour mark! This site and the people on it are real cool and very informative! Glad to have found this place!