Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

250 bottom end swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 bottom end swaps?

Hello,
I have been to this forum many times as a guest searching and finding good information. But, now I have a complex problem and can not find what I am looking for by searching.

My Fiancees Brother was riding the 89 Trail Boss we have and stalled it in water up to the top of the clutch cover and heard water gurgling in through the exhaust. So I went about draining the motor bottom end, cylinder, and exhaust, and changing the trans oil. I tried to pull starting it since the battery was charging and it tried to run and then died. I tried a few more time and then the rope broke.

I come back to it a few weeks later after the pull start is fixed and the motor would only turn over about a 1/8th of a turn. So I pull the top end off and find nothing wrong there. Does this sound like crank bearings?

I almost have the bottom end ready to come out of the quad. But while messing around I poured two-stroke oil inside the crank case and the crank was able to move a 1/4 of a turn now.

It is a very easy quad to work on, but this is my first time pulling the clutch, how do I do that? Do I just put a 3-jaw puller on the outside and pull it off? I already pulled the center bolt but could not get the clutch to budge.

Also if it is a seized bottom end can I get a used one from another machine to last through the summer while I rebuild this one?

I found an 84, and 85, and an 87? Will any of those years work or what years would work in general off a trail blazer or trail boss?

Thanks for all the help,
I belong to many offroad/truck forums
And look forward to spending a lot of time here too!

Old 06-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe a dumb question, but did you make sure the spark plug was still good??? Another thing to check would be the counter balancer oil. The plug sits just behind where the top-end bolts up. It has a dipstick and if you by chance drained it, it could be a problem. When you change this, you should replace it with 80cc of oil...can't remember off hand which oil to use, but maybe someone can help me out there...or ask a dealer. The clutch comes off with a special clutch puller that you can get from hotseat, hpd, or dennis kirk. don't use a 3-jaw puller, cause that will usually result in pulling the clutch off in pieces, the metal isn't built to take stress that way. Since you are that close to the bottom end, it may not hurt to keep going a little furthur and check on the crank berrings, if anything it will save you another tear down.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:42 PM
CED
Pro Rider

If this is a 250cc,any bottom end from a 250 will work.If it is a 250 then you won't have a counter balancer.I have had very good luck using a trailer ball that has a 3/4 inch shank and is fine thread to remove my primary.You will have to put something inside so that the trailer ball will push against as you tighten it.Get the ball snug then tap on it with a hammer a couple times.Take your time and you should have no problems.It could very well be your bearings.Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Old 06-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks CED, it is good to know I can use any 250cc bottom end. That will open my shopping possibilities.

Pudljumpr, I did check for spark quite a few times, and no problems there. The bottom end is just locked up. I can only turn it a quarter of a turn now.

Also, sorry CED, but I am not quite sure where you want me to use the ball hitch at, I have a couple of ball hitchs so I will try what you said. I pulled the center bolt on the clutch and it was about five inches long. Do I put something in that bolt hole to push on? Or am I screwing the ball hitch in some where else?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2003, 05:47 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Yes you remove the primary clutch bolt then you need to figure what you need to put inside so that the ball will not bottom out against the primary.It needs to stay at least a 1/4 inch from the primary,do not bottom the ball against the primary.The inside of the primary is threaded ,thats why you need something inside to push against,usually a deep socket will work.The crank shaft is beveled and the primary is just more or less pushed on.Use a pipe wrench on the ball,then once you get it snug,give it a couple good taps.It will usually come off when your about to give up.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Oops, my bad. There is no counter-balancer. I guess I just assumed it was like a 400 2-stroke, only smaller. Sorry for the misinfo!!

Old 06-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks CED!!!

I went out this morning and felt the threads on the primary. I should have stuck my finger in there sooner and I would have known what you were talking about.

Thanks again, this is my first time working on Polaris transmissions and engines and I appreciate you explaining it!!!