Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

riding on the road with state highway patrol

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding on the road with state highway patrol

i was riding my atv down one of the major county roads in my area, i turned the atv kind of sideways on the berm but still on the road because i was going to cross the ditch and go into a field, but i was half on the road and half in the ditch, while i was messing with the gearshift trying to put it in low range I looked up and over the hill pops the Ohio State Highway Patrol. I'm thinking oh ****. I just sit there motionlessly and watch them roll by at about 45mph and they just give my a friendly look. I thought WTF? while crossing the ditch and I continue on... That was weird huh?

Old 06-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like you're a lucky SOB[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

Or maybe cops arent that bad........

Old 06-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe you have the same machine he does [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

lol lovemud

Old 06-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

he probably didnt care. a few years ago when i was still riding a lot, we use to take the highway one of the old mudpits here. we met state troopers and sheriffs deputies all the time and very seldom did any of them ever say anything. usually it was about helmets or telling us to go slower by houses so the exhaust sound wouldn't be so loud. can't do that now. they are like barney fife now, they are on you about every little thing. but i live in the country so i can just hit the woods and be home in a few minutes. seems like every trail off of the highway will get to my house.

Old 06-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya'll are lucky. A buddy and I got a ticket from the highway patrol for riding halfway on and halfway off the road. We couldn't get over any further because of the ditch. We went to court and it got dropped.

Old 06-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

It has been my experience, that if you are driving responsibly, obeying all traffic laws, etc. that the patrol won't bother you. If you try to outrun or 'lose' them on some dirt road, you may be in for it if they catch you.

Farmr

Old 06-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

Farmr123 hit the nail on the head. My brothers a highway patrolman and he never bothers any of the ATVers unless they are acting irresponsible. Just be curtious and obey the states traffic laws and the cops usually won't bother you. I've even witnessed times where the rider was doing something illigal, but because the rider had a helmet on, was going slow, and was being curtious and cautious, the patrolman let him go. Although this isn't always the case, however, if I did get a ticket for doing something wrong, the judge could be more likely to drop or lower my fine if he/she new that even though I broke the law, I was still being curtious and responsible at the time.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

The cop was probably going 10-7 to the nearest donut shop

Quick Reply: riding on the road with state highway patrol