Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Painting wheels Black??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 03:39 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting wheels Black??

If you call up a boat shop ans ask them where they get their trailers, you will find a powder coater. Then you can get it done through them cheaper.

Old 07-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2003, 06:00 AM
Trailblazer

I used a Epoxy paint on my 500 rims and its hard as nails.Just my 2 cents

Old 07-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

i have had excellent luck with brand name spray paint [not walmart] clean it well let it dry and then wipe it down with those little alcohol wipes they use everywhere now. dealerships use em on everything! you should be able to buy them anywhere. then as soon as the alcohol evaps...not long... go ahead and paint. several thin coats, not one thick coat. and think about the wind and sun BEFORE you start.
let it dry for a whole day if you can, then give it a couple thin coats of clear coat - just for chips etc - and you'll have a nice project. even powdercoat chips, so if yer on a budget [me] be creative!
have fun!

Old 07-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

just a quicky reply for those that haven't tried this
I use VHT header paint (high-heat exhaust & manifold paint)... It works friggin awesome (for any application). after removing the part, i sand/grind to bare metal and do 3 coats of the hi-heat paint. To cure it all I hang from the rafters of my garage by coat hangers and leave the BBQ underneath to let the pieces get nice & toasty.... makes a great finish.... and lasts a long time for nearly zero $$$$$

Old 07-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

try to get ahold of blackksf, he is probably in the kawi forum. he put something on his mojave rims and it looks nice.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Old thread, I know.

I've been wanting to paint my sportsman rims black for awhile now. I cleaned them really well with some alchohol, but thought I'd take a look here before I tried anything. Think rustoleum would hold up at all? Would it be better to sand the old paint first?

The edges of my rims are all bare metal, almost all the way around, so I know it will chip and flake there. I am just wondering if the paint will stay on in the center of the wheel with all the mud and snow riding I do.

This worth a try, or should I not bother and avoid ruining (the looks of) my wheels?

Old 06-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have the chrome rims on my sportsman 700 and they are starting to rust and look pretty bad. I was wondering if it would be possible to clean them up and powder coat them? Or what would i need to do to them first before i get them painted.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

ITP makes black type c wheels.
Buy ITP aluminum wheels & then you do not have to worry about rust or painting them.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GITRDONE
ITP makes black type c wheels.
Buy ITP aluminum wheels & then you do not have to worry about rust or painting them.
Well, I would, but two things. 1, I'm cheap. And 2, I couldnt imagine spending money on rims, mine get dented and scratched and smashed so often. Even if aftermarket rims are stronger, I couldnt imagine them not scratching upon impact with a huge rock (my latest wheel injury, that was yesterday, it took the paint off the lip of the rim around about 1/3 of the rim and left a dent about 3/4" deep).

Quick Reply: Painting wheels Black??