Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to grease swingarm pivot on Pred?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 05:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to grease swingarm pivot on Pred?

The Owner's Manual doesn't state how to go about greasing the swingarm pivot, just says you need to. There is no grease zert and I was curious on how to properly do it. Does the Pred need to be up on a jack? Can I just remove the nuts and pull the bolt out and the swingarm pivot will fall down and walla? How heavy is it? How about the chain being in the way? Thanks so much!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

also was wondering if anybody had considered drilling and tapping the top side of the ball joints and installing a grease zert? If a person doesn't, won't the ball joint eventually go bad?

Old 06-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The balljoints are sealed units, and "industry folks" strongly recommend against drilling them. As for the swingarm lube. Get the rear up on a stand. You do need to take it pretty much all the way out, cause what you're getting at to grease are the bearings between the spacer and the swingarm itself. This means the bolt has to come out, the swingarm needs to come down to slide out the bushings, then you can access the bearings. I've had mine out a few times now, and would suggest picking up the service manual it walks you right through. The earlier frames seem to be tighter than some of the later units, I've had to very slightly "stretch" the frame with a small bottle jack....VERY SLIGHTLY, and it drops right back in.

Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Ken, I had a feeling it may be you, who would reply to this question. I do appreciate it. I will be getting a service manual soon, so I'll be on my way to a nice newly greased swingarm pivot.
Doug

Old 07-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Doug, it's not a bad job, but I do admit to doin' some studying of the components last time they were out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]