Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

450es or Mag. 500

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2000, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im looking at getting a new ATV in the next month or so. I can't decide from the Magnum 500 or the 450ES. I like the long lasting history of honda, but i also love the auto of the polaris's, and i do alot of mudding and don't want the belt to slip. Also how are the Polaris's in the winter for cold weather starting, Need help please give me some info
Thanks
StitchZR2

Old 05-15-2000, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

the mag500 will do better in the mud but i'm like you. the belt will slip no matter how well protected, at the worst possible time (murphy's law). if the mag500 was a manual shift i probably would have bought it. it has a much better ride than the 450es. the older model 450es's had a battery drain problem but that is worked out. the rancher will basically hang with the foreman but the mag will leave it on an open trail. if ya want speed and a great handeling utility bike then get the mag. if ya want great low end torque get the 450es. if ya want to compromise a bit on top end but get better ride quality and better 4x4 system (than the 450es) look at a rancher.

between these two i'd go for the mag500. the 450es just rode to ruff for me.

random thoughts from cart

Old 05-15-2000, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Ok here goes take off the belt cover and put you a bead of silicon or plumbers putty and get about 3 or 4 extra cover clips...there your problem is sovlved even if it does leak which mine doesn't on my sportsman 500, have been in water up to the seat with no belt slippage. I really don't know why this is made into the big issue it is...just ask anybody who makes the alteration to the belt cover it works and NO WATER NO SLIPPING...

Old 05-15-2000, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

I've never been on a 450es, but I've been riding with a few of them. They are good bikes, but I think the "es" is just something electrical to go wrong with it. Thats just my opinion. As for the belt slipping while in the mud, I've never had that happen on either of my Polaris quads. I have had the belt get wet while riding fast in the river (on the Scrambler) because the tires splashed water in the the tranny intake, but I just dove to dry ground and revved it in neutral for about 10-20 seconds and it was ready to go again. The Explorer 500 (just like the Sportsman 500) has only had a wet belt a few times since I bought it in '97. It got wet from sitting in the water for 4-5 minutes with water over the tranny cover, and it was only a little water and it dried out as fast as the Scrambler. The Explorer 500 even has the original belt, and it is used for farm work almost everyday (everyday in the winter, for feeding the cows and horses) and for play on the weekends. I have replaced the belt on the Scrambler once sice I got it in '98, but I caused that problem by trying a tug of war with the Explorer. As for ease of starting in the winter, they both start fine, and if you drive them every day, you probably won't have to crank it more than twice to get 'em started. I even tried to pull start the Explorer last winter and it only took 2 pulls (it almost caught on the first pull). I don't think you could go wrong with either quad, but I'm biased towards the Polaris. I like the power, speed, ground clearence, and true 4 wheel drive.
Later,

Old 05-15-2000, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey if you get the new model clutch cover it has no clips to put on. there is an extra bolt that helps seal out water.

Old 05-15-2000, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

stitchzr2

Both are excellent machines that you are looking at. I ride a 98 Magnum 425 (same machine as 500, but smaller motor) and have ridden with a 450ES. Both do great in mud and trail riding. I have been up to the seat in water and mud and have not had the belt slip once, so I would not consider that a factor. I would ride both machines and choose the only that fits you best. The only complaint the guy on the 450es had was the full time four wheel drive tended to push out in tight fast corners. Other than that, he really likes his machine. I use my machine in the winter only for snowplowing ( I work to much to have much fun) I only start it every few weeks and have no trouble getting it started. The biggest factor that I would consider is the quality of the local dealership. Go with the dealer that gives the best service.

Old 05-15-2000, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 Magnum with the newer transmission cover. It's gray, and it works fine, because I've ridden in mud and water past the handelbars without slippage. If the belt does become wet however, my friends tell me all you have to do is put the quad in neutral and give it about 50% throttle for about a minute. That should dry it right up.

Old 05-15-2000, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

Go with the 450es, HONDA is the best, Polaris have not good resale value.

Old 05-15-2000, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My preferance would definately be the 500cc Magnum.It is much quicker,easier to ride,offers true 4wd when activated,a more plush ride,and liquid cooled.It will start right up in the coldest weather too.

The belt thing?Do like ATVing says and add some more compression clips [50 cents each] and you'll never slip a belt unless you exceed the air snorkle opening.Allways remember to use low range when towing,hill climbing,or pulling,and the belt will never be an issue.
Best of luck on your choice,===Bill

Old 05-15-2000, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

I've been in some pretty deep water with my 2000 Mag with no belt slippage at all. I have also ridden the 450es. I just prefer the quickness of the auto over the shifting. My brother-in laws 450es still is plagued with battery drainage, and he is still waiting for Honda to fix it (parts shortage?) He said his next machine will probably be a Polaris, since he liked riding mine. I have deep ditches to get out of, and nothing can match the 4-wheel drive system of the Polaris. I have had 2 Grizzly's, and four wheels pulling instead of three makes a heck of a difference, no matter how much power you have. Mudden in Mich.

Quick Reply: 450es or Mag. 500