Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anybody put bigger tires ona '02 Trailboss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody put bigger tires ona '02 Trailboss?

The wife & I have an '02 Trailboss & really like it except for one thing,the rear tires are MUCH too small,it doesn't look right w/h the factory ones & was just wondering how big can you go w/hout affecting gearing,speed,etc. If any body has any pics that would be great!!! Thanks,Scott

Old 07-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Can anyone help here? I was wondering about the same thing - but going taller on the front too? I know it will be more tipsy. Pro's and Con's anyone?

Old 07-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

You can put larger tires on the Trailboss. But bear in mind, it doesn't have an overabundance of power. When you increase the tire size, it takes that much more to move them. It also changes the gearing. You may want to put a smaller sprocket in the front and a larger one in the back. This will help you regain any zip you will lose with the larger tire. If you have a traction problem, you may want to consider putting a little more aggressive tire on the rear instead of a larger one. I would recommend contacting Sidewinder sprockets. Tell them what you have, and what you would like to do. They have always been very helpful for me.

Alot depends on what you are looking for in this machine. I happen to have the same one, my Mom rides it. If you want more juice out of it, gearing changes, pipe and jet kits, those things will let loose what power the motor has. My Mom likes it the way it is. It is a little light in the front, but we fixed that by putting a box on the front. If you haven't had chain problems with it yet, you may. It seems alot of us have. A new chain/sprocket combo will fix that. Other than that, it really is a good machine. It will start right up after sitting for a month.

Hope this helps

Scott

Old 07-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well if you dont want it to affect speed then you need to change the gearing if you put on bigger tires. Bigger tires would work fine but in stock form it would slow it down. If you put on bigger tires then go with a bigger rear sprocket. Stock tires are 22x11x10 with 38t sprocket. You can probably go with a 24-25 inch tire with a 42t sprocket and it would not hurt performance. This would give you alot more ground clearance. There are also some mods that you can do if you want more power.