Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris trans and engine oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris trans and engine oil ?

OK it may not be sealed per say, but it gets recycled and re-used by the motor just like the tranny or other parts would. Right?? If not, wouldn't I have to continually add oil to my truck?? Maybe I used a bad choice of words, but I think you can see my point.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

I change the oil in my ranger about every 50 hrs,it said so in the manual that come with it.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

NC- Sealed and filtered are 2 different concepts. Neither one requires 'topping off', but that does not they are both sealed systems. An engine enviorment with pistons, rings, filters, breather valves, fuel exposure is radically different than a hub, diff, or tranny enviornment.

I agree that they shold all be changed regularly, more often if you rid ehard or dirty.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Regardless of the differences, it should be done per manufacturers instructions and more if the conditions permit. Agreed?? I was just trying to make a point and maybe it wasn't a great comparison, but I think the point that you should change your oils is clear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I agree.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, Back to the original question.... What type of fluid is polaris running in the tranny??? I've been looking for a substute also.

Old 07-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: lovemud
Ok, Back to the original question.... What type of fluid is polaris running in the tranny??? I've been looking for a substute also.
yes does anybody know the answer to the original questin, what kind of oil is used in the trans?

to shine some light on the topic above,
sealed or not it has to be changed because oil will break down over time, and it will loose its lubricating properties, regardless if it is still nice and clean looking. must change it, trans can go 1 year + no problem . sam applyes to differentials, not much continamation, does not breakdown as fast.

engine oil has to be changes 25 -50 hours or 3 to 6 months depending on how much abuse it gets , synthetics can go longer because it does not breakdown as fast, and has better lubricating propeties.
also engine oil gets conteminated with combustion byproducts (carbons) turns it black color, how ever the blackness of the oil does not mean the oil is bad just yet, example look at the diesel engines,

Old 07-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Amsoil makes a replacement for the Polaris tranny fluid called series 2000 synthetic chain case lube but it really is not any cheaper than the Polaris stuff.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

I guess what I'm looking for is - is it a gear case lube like 80w-90, or a engine type oil like 30w...... I'm not really trying to save a few cents, I'm interested in convience. If they sold polaris lube at walmart and fleetfarm that would be great, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I need to go on a special trip just to get a certain brand of oil - that's worth asking the question.........

Old 07-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: lovemud
I guess what I'm looking for is - is it a gear case lube like 80w-90, or a engine type oil like 30w...... I'm not really trying to save a few cents, I'm interested in convience. If they sold polaris lube at walmart and fleetfarm that would be great, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I need to go on a special trip just to get a certain brand of oil - that's worth asking the question.........

very good point,
I don't think it is 80w-90, nor it is w30, to me it looks like the gear lubricant they use in GM manual trans called syncro-mess
or it may be synthetic ATF same as the one used in auto trans.
General Motors use regular ATF in their transfer case on 4x4 trucks.

I hope some one will come up with the right answer, if not , we are stuck using polaris trans oil

Quick Reply: polaris trans and engine oil ?