Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Weird problem!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem!!!???

After my ride this weekend, I had a weird problem with my scram. I have a really bad vibration that I can't really tell where it is coming from at around 40+mph. Also, it keeps stalling out at idle. I have to give it a little gas to keep it going. I don't know what is going on. I have the idle adjustment screw on the carb almost all the way in. I also just put a new STOCK belt on as well as new sprockets and chain. I was thinking that maybe my clutch alignment way a little off causing the vibration and also causing the belt to slightly engage the clutch at idle causing the stalling??? What do you think could be the problem??

Old 07-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

in the clutch did you line up the X's exactly right?

Old 07-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah. It ran great after the mods. Its just that this time I started to have problems. Actually, the whole weekend sucked. We had to go home 2 days early cuz my friend rolled his DS and sliced his finger down to the bone, almost completely off. I had a few problems with the chain tensionor too. I had to space it out some cuz it was rubbing to the chain. Now I got these problems. Damn!

Old 07-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Your problem with a lack of idling sounds like you have a bad needle and seat in your carb. Have it pressure checked...but that sounds like your problem. As far as your vibration...I used to have problems with clutches warping clutch covers...have you taken it off and seen if it's eating your cover?? Sometimes the inner cover gets warped from heat, and then the outside one sags and rubs.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Do you think that an HPD airbox mod would help solve that?? I think that my belt is rubbing on the cover, because I have seen scruff on it. The covers are $90 a piece though!!! WTF!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I don't have a clutch alignment tool or a primary clutch puller. I may just have to take it to the dealer for this[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Will a primary clutch puller for SkiDoo snowmobiles work for me, cuz my friend has one of those. I would rather do the work myself, but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of specialy tools to do it.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:40 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I have had very good luck pulling my primary with a trailer ball.It just needs to be fine thread,i forget the size of the shaft 3/4 maybe.You just need to put something inside, like maybe a small extension to push against.Make sure your ball is not hitting your clutch.Get it real snug and then give it a couple lite taps with a hammer.Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Does the vibration sound like it is the clutches? Could it be misaligned or bad bushings maybe? Or will a warped cover cause vibrations? I like the idea of a trailer ball hitch. But, is there a way to align the clutches without buying an alignment tool?

Old 07-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

you checked the tie-rod ends and aarm bushing and such right bigbad?mine also has a vibration and im pretty sure its because i need new tie-rod ends..

Old 07-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

No, I havent. However, my steering has no slop in it, especially since I replaced the lower steering support bearing wuth the HPD unit.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:09 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the air duct is clear and not building up heat.

Quick Reply: Weird problem!!!???