Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TB carb ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB carb ?

We are running the rcr stage 1 kit on my sons 01 TB....sometimes when he shuts it off in the woods and the goes to start it it doesn't want to start....I have to hold it wide open to get it to start...then still hold it wide open to keep it running but it doesn't rev....like it's loaded up....I pulled the plug and it was black....changed it out...then later on it did it again...I would have to turn the fuel off and start it at full throttle and hold it a while a couple minutes before it would run....it this this about 5 times yesterday.....only when you shut it off then go to start it.....but it don't always do it.....the rcr kit came with 2 jets...I used the smaller of the 2....I think it was a 150....Help guys....

Old 08-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default TB carb ?

You need to check and adjust the jetting of your machine. Start in the idle to 1/4 throttle range. Hold the throttle steady for at least 1/4 mile. Use the electric kill switch on the LH bar to kill the motor. Coast to a stop. Check your plug. Black is rich, white is lean, and cocoa brown is perfect. The small airscrew on the side of the carb can be backed out 1/4 turn at a time to lean, or turned in to richen. Now you progress to the 1/2 throttle range. Do the same 1/4 mile run, followed by electrically killing the motor. The adjustment in this range, and the 3/4 throttle (your next run) is adjusted by moving the clip on the needle, inside the slide. Lowering the clip richens, and raising the clip leans. Now for the wide open throttle (WOT) do the same run...making sure you have enough safe shutdown (braking) room. The main jet (it's under the big bolt on the bottom of the carb, changes this. Turn off the gas before you remove that bottom bolt for the main jet though. Take your time, and it'll pay off in a nicely running machine. After any engine mods, it's strongly suggested that you repeat this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default TB carb ?

Ok thanks....how do i get to the clip.....buy removing the airbox...is it on the intake side?

Old 08-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default TB carb ?

You'll need the airbox out of the way. Unscrew the top of the carb, it's spring loaded a bit, so take it easy. The needle w/ clip is down in the slide.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Range Rover
Default TB carb ?

if you are going to go out in the bush a ways to do this testing like I do (away from the city)

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A COUPLE SPARE NEEDLE CLIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost a needle clip about 30 miles from nowhere when testing my snowmobile!!!!!!!!!!
sucks to ride a twin home on 1 cylinder!!!!!