Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

weird click clink clank sound on trail boss 330

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 04:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird click clink clank sound on trail boss 330

ok. on my trail boss, you take off, and you hear this sound(which at first i thought it was the chain), but i went to tighten it today and found it was plenty tight. then i rode it. the noise was still there, and my friend checked the chain was fine. now i think it is the transmission. but when i hit the brakes, especially the rear foot brake, it sounds as bad as it ever has. so i thought the sproket was skipping. no way said my friend, i was locked up and the chain does not have enought slack to make that loud of a sound. now that points back to the tranny. man i need to figure this out before it gets worse. and it backfires a lot. not a bang, but a muffled *poof*. what the hell is happening. can someone help. please

Old 08-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure your chain isn't too tight and you have plenty of chain lube on there. if this is right and your chain isn't bent or your sprockets aren't worn out, then it will not be the chain making the noise.

Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

my buddies scrambler 500 was making some clicking noise also,if you looked at his chain it wasnt going straight..the problem was one side of his swingarm bushing were worn out so the swing arm was kicked to one side..check it out..

Old 08-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

i lube my chain after every ride now, took me a while to figure out where that knocking noise was coming from, come to find out it was because of a dry chain. lube the chain every time you ride, and dont tighten the chain too much

Old 08-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

had the same problem on my trailboss and it did turn out to be the chain. What happened is on the chain theres little round pieces that sit overtop of the area where the chain goes down into the sprockets and it had broke off! It is realy hard to explain what they are but you need to take your chain off and examine it reall good!

Old 08-24-2003, 02:33 PM

had the same problem and the dealer told me to never put wd-40 on the chain because it takes off the o-rings and that causes and clicking noise and will wear down your sprocket.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

I had the same problem on my 400. Its true the stock chain falls apart. I lubed the chain with spectro chain lube too which works well. I bought a parts-unlimited x-ring chain to replace it, that works awesome. The only thing is I had to punch some links out. I highly advise checking the chain for this problem.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:55 AM
Range Rover

my bike makes a similar loud clinking sound but only when i hit the back brakes, i rarely use my brakes so it'll get fixed when it gets fixed...

Old 08-25-2003, 12:24 PM

hey boondock you got the exterminator kit from hsp?? that thing must fly and does it beat banshees like it says??

Old 08-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

It does this on all the atv's I've owned.....even being shaft drive, when you hit the foot brake.....It is the slack in the transmission and clutch......I doubt it is the chain if the tires and chain was locked up from pressing the foot brake....

Quick Reply: weird click clink clank sound on trail boss 330