Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

dirtwheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirtwheels

Let that be a lesson to Polaris...next year spend more advertising money to recieve better review

Old 08-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

jsyi:

1. I dont have a yfz450
2. the previous month they lauded it long and loud, dirt wheels style.

If they cant seem to make up their mind, how am i supposed to believe them?

Old 08-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

Originally posted by: raptor8
jsyi:

1. I dont have a yfz450
2. the previous month they lauded it long and loud, dirt wheels style.

If they cant seem to make up their mind, how am i supposed to believe them?
True dat guy! I say ride what you wanna ride!

Old 08-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

What a joke!! Just had a chance to scan the article today. The mag is still on the stand. How stupid do they think people are?! Let's just pop some Walker Evans shocks on a Pred, then take 'em for a blast. Some of the local racers have had some of the Elka's break. Love to seem them wip up an excuse for that one, as the Pred blows by the finish line with their prized possesion advertizing machine still out on the dunes. Keep digging your hole Dirty Wheels, pretty soon you won't be able to chuck the bundles of mags high enough to get them out of the pit.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

I didn' read every word of the shootout yet, but here are my thoughts about what I did read.

They spent the most money on the Z because it is the smallest displacement motor, and tried to even things out.

I expected the YZF to do the best in almost every category, it's supposedly "race ready"

The Predator had the highest HP ratings, but it is also 35-45 pounds heavier than those it was pitched against.

Dirtwheels did give the Predator the nod in the whoops section.

I see plenty of Polaris advertisements throughout High-Torque publications, so I don't buy into "The other guys get rave reviews because they spend more $$ with the mag."

I know it's hard to go out and spend our hard earned dollars on the newest, latest, fastest quad, and then a few months later see it up against the newer, faster quad, and now be told our four month old quad is inferior.

I ride a 400EX. How do you think I feel that my quad isn't even considered for a shootout anymore. It was the quad of the decade in 1999, now it's the quad of the past, that isn't good enough for a shootout.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

Originally posted by: Quadfather

I expected the YZF to do the best in almost every category, it's supposedly "race ready"
I think a lot of people expected more from it...well at least thats what all the rags wanted u to think before the damn thing even came out.

Originally posted by: Quadfather

I know it's hard to go out and spend our hard earned dollars on the newest, latest, fastest quad, and then a few months later see it up against the newer, faster quad, and now be told our four month old quad is inferior.

I ride a 400EX. How do you think I feel that my quad isn't even considered for a shootout anymore. It was the quad of the decade in 1999, now it's the quad of the past, that isn't good enough for a shootout.
Im not trying ot bash on the EX but lets not kid ourselves...the EX would get spanked in most if not all catagories..... Inferior....well I guess the rags are doing a favor to them. Do we really need to read about how far behind the EX was in every catagory of the shootout? The 400EX is old news and older technology...what exactly has changed on the 400EX since the first day they came out...Not a damn thing. Maybe if they kept up with the other makers and changed a thing or two here and there they might be worth talking about...but till then....Now when the 450 comes out that'll be a different story.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

Your point is well taken, but that wasn't the point I was trying to get across. What I was tring to say is, when these quads first come out, and Dirtwheels evaluates it, and claims it the new cats meow, everyone runs around and says "Dirtwheels says it's the cats meow", and I have one, therefore, my quad is the cats meow. Then, when the same mag puts it up against another newer quad, and claims the other quad the victor, their mag isn't worthy of toilet paper in the outhouse, and the other quads manufacturer spends way more advertising dollars, so the mag gave them the victory.

The EX might be old hat, but in the last shootout, the Z400 only beat the EX by 16/100ths of a second in a 300 yard drag. That's not a whoopin' by any means.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

Good points. I guess in the 400-500 class, I just expected to see an equalization of mod investment. Fair is, as fair does, if you put mod shocks on one machine, then put them on all. At least put the front rezzi's on the Pred.....I still think Polaris should be doing this from the factory...I gotta give Yamaha credit for that.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dirtwheels

The whole point of the idea, Quadfather, is that even when the Predator came out with the anti-bump pro steering and a race ready format as a first Dirtwheels even then did not give it the rave that it has the other wheelers. And now that is is a little older news, they are hardly recognizing it at all. Suzuki and Yammi must be giving better dollars or the the mag writers have a personal thing against Polaris. The Predator, minus a handful of tranny problems not even in contention with the Raptor first year problems, has been a good reliable quad. And I am saying this from a standback view as I do not own one. Bubba

Old 08-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default dirtwheels

atv action is definetly better that dirt wheels, their just upset that polaris came out with something that beat everybody elses bike at first, their used to having the hondas,and suzukis being the best and polaris being sucky, and they what to make polaris look bad, so people think they still suck. im sure polaris will keep working on better bikes for the future. that have to make that new yfz450 look amazing, just like they still make the z400 look like a super bike when it really isnt, if you have noticed they put the 440 kit so it can compete with the pred and yfz. i find nothing impressive about the z400 at all, i think the raptor is 10 times more impressive and thats been out longer. but that yfz is a beutiful machine, yamaha does do great jobs on there bike along with honda.

03 scrambler 500 4x4-k&N filter, shock cover
02 tb 250- msr handle bars,uni, gators, shockl covers ( soon tb 400)
98 blaster-k&N filter+jets, fmf gold series pipe, mier plastics, msr handle bars, shock wears

Quick Reply: dirtwheels