Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is the Sportsman Going To Be thrown Off Throne

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2000, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading a atv action magazine May 2000 about the traxter xt, and it said "can the sportsman 500 be thrown off the throne" And they replied "certinaly" So is the new traxter XT going to overthrow the king. Tell me what you guys think

Old 05-30-2000, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

The XT is a great machine, but I still like the Sportsman better. Hard to believe, but there is a heavier quad then the Sportsman, and the Traxter and XT are those quads. The XT also does not have IRS and it has a stiffer suspension on top of that. And the XT is almost $8000. I can get a Sportsman for just above 6K here.
Plus you got to add that weird step through design into the factor. People say they are not concerned with looks, but deep down they are. I personally do not like the step through design.

Now before any of you guys jump all over this, let me say that this is my opinion, and nothing more.

But I agree with thier comment that the Sportsman could be knocked off the throne. It very well could happen. I hope it never does, but it could.

Old 05-30-2000, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well before we can make a comment on this one we need the facts. I was reading an end of year report for Bombardier last night and they mentioned the latest Bombardier ATV, the Traxter XT. What exactly does the XT have over the basic Traxter?

It will be tough to beat the IRS on the Sportsman, but, as we all know, it is the sum of the features, reliability, accessories etc etc that we weigh when making our purchase decision. What does the Traxter XT offer us?

If Bombardier does something they tend to do it right. I can see them being a major player in the ATV market in years to come. As with all new players in the market, they will have problems and learn lessons. It will all be to the consumer's benefit in the end. Just having another quality player in the market with fresh ideas will make the other manufacturers stand up and pay attention. They watch each other carefully which can only help us in the end.

DJ

Old 05-30-2000, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I too think that the Sportsman can and will eventualy be thrown from its throne. But this can only be good for us as it will force Polaris to think about a few improvements. Or to step up the detail on the Quality side that I havent saw for myself yet but hear about alot. I hope it never loses but sooner or later with out change or adapation everyone or thing gets beat.
NOW THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINONS,and need not be agreed to by others.

Old 05-30-2000, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

i think before we kick the sp500 of its throne we must wait untill the 2001 models are out. the rubicon is a 2001 and im not sure but i think the traxter xt is to. when the 2001 sportsmans are out u will wonder why anyone would want a traxter.
im refering to the new 700cc twin sportsman

Old 05-30-2000, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well being in actual reality NO...what must be a major thing to think about is the price of the XT is $8000 with the Polaris being $6000...well do the math if I added $2000 worth of goodies to my Sportsman the XT wouldn't have a chance...its like comparing the new vet at its price of about $40k and comparing it with some of the 60k price sports cars add $20k to a new vet and no $60k priced car would touch it. Till there is something in the price range of the Sportsman including the Rubicon there isn't going to be no new king. This is only way it can be done fairly considering the price...for $1500 to $2000 extras I could build a heck of a beast...just my opinion though but it does make sense....

Old 05-30-2000, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

After spending the weekend with Jamie's 2 new yellow sp 500's. I would say that, if a company, any company was smart. All they have to do is come
up with more clearance then the sp 500. thats all.
Know one has so the sp 500 is king. Simple as that. I dont care how big your motor is. If you dont have clearance, your stuck! any atv, I dont care what brand. Then step 2 would be to have equal to and or better than, the polaris awd system! I would say that polaris might be in the drivers seat at the moment. I still want a xpedition 500 cc 5-speed with sp500 clearance.

rangerchet, proud owner of a polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed !!

Old 05-30-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

your 700 twin is just a dream, I don't know where this stuff comes from but the sp will be a 500 for the 2001 year.

Old 05-30-2000, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

i saw thoes pics jamie sent to lurch77 for his web site.thoes are some bad looking machines.

rancheres i think u need to question your sources.

rangerchet did jamie say when the new machines wiil be out and any info on them?

Old 05-30-2000, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Jamie did not talk to me about new machines but he
did say that he thought they would make another xpedition. You probably want something else right.
too busy having fun with our current machines.
and thanks about the compliment about our machines. rangerchet....

Quick Reply: Is the Sportsman Going To Be thrown Off Throne