Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hole in crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in crankcase

I have had a difficult time setting the idle low enough on my wife's 199 250 Trailblazer. Then the starter began engaging as if it were "sticky". I removed the case cover to access the starter bendix. When I removed the cover, oil came out. I bought the ATV with the piston out and had my local shop install it. They said that they too got oil out of the starter bendix area while in the process of re-roping the pull- cord. I removed the flywheel to access the bendix and found a "hole" between the magneto housing and the crank housing. It is about 3/8" by 1/8". I don't see any cracks, just a piece gone, leaving a hole. I am guessing that the previous owner broke a piston skirt, not relaying this to me. My shop guy missed it too, as he had oil also. I need the ATV in two weeks. I plan to have it rebuilt and tig-welded this winter. Can I plug the hole with JB Weld or PC7 for now? Is there much pressure in this area? Any suggestions would be helpful as I can't tear the engine all apart right now?

Old 09-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

just do it ,tug hill here we come.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

J b weld is all they say it is and more! I've used it on crankcase covers on an old virago,and on the block of an old chevy 350 so, give it a shot.But, be sure to use JB and no substitute.Good Luck.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Range Rover

As the Grim Ripper stated, the JB is all its cracked up to be! I have used it on my 500 Kaw 2-stroke Triple and its held since 1989 on a crankcase hole from grenading a piston. WOW 14 years, I have'nt though about that hole in a long time.
Make sure you resist the desire to crank it up until the J-B WELD cures for at least 24 hours and make sure no oil is on the case before application.
The hole in my crankcase was about the size of 3/8 round or maybe a little bit bigger.
Hope it works for you.
The ATV ran with this hole?
DUG

Old 09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer

The hole I used it in was on an early 80's virago.I was broad-sided on it and after all to flopping my bike and I did the peg pushed through the side.So, while I was casted I rebuilt the machine.Two weeks later tore off the casts started the machine and I was on the road again! I praise JB right up there with drywall screws and duct tape. Very versatile stuff.Be sure to let it cure!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. It ran fine, just wouldn't start well when hot, wouldn't idle well, and built up oil in the starter bendix area. I'll let you know how it works out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

We will be there! You better be there too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I'll give it a try, so PC7 is not good?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:37 AM
Range Rover

RC
I dont know if PC7 is any good or not, but sure would like to know if there is another product out there that works like JB

Old 09-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure about pc7.I've always used JB and have never been let down.I guess if you want to try it feel free but I wouldn't risk it.Once I find something that works that well I "stick"with it.I usually only like to do things once.This avoids waisted time.Try it and let me know.

Quick Reply: Hole in crankcase