Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

high lifter kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2000, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Treadepot tip was definitely a good one. When I bought my Mud Runners a year ago the best price I could find was $375 for 26” on all for corners. I didn’t even know they had 27” till I checked out their site.

There are many combinations of factors that will cause the front tires to “rub.” Lots of weight on the front rack will do it, bigger tires can do it, and both together will certainly do it. Wider than stock front tires on the stock rims usually causes the inside of the right tire to rub on the tie rod end, so watch out for that.

My Sportsman RSE came with the metal front bumper. I added the winch, and always carry about 30 lbs. of fuel (Fuel Pack) on the front rack, so together that’s a considerable amount of weight. I started my front suspension mods by replacing the stock front springs with the Polaris firm springs. At the time they were $32 for the pair and the best $32 I ever spent on my quad. With my setup, it improved the ride and handling with no negative effects whatsoever. Still, although they almost eliminated the shocks bottoming out on hard dips, the 26” MRs would still smack the fenders on a good bounce. HighLifter’s front lift kit cured that once and for all. I liked the front kit so well I bought the rear one and have been very pleased with both. Then I started reading on this forum about big tires + front lift kits + AWD + extreme turns = broken CV joints. I had it in mind to reduce the turning radius by slipping a 7/8” long piece of ¾” galvanized pipe over the steering stops but then the “easy steer kit” surfaced and installing that reduced the turning radius AND reduced the steering effort by almost half. I guess I got lucky because all these mods work together so well it’s hard to believe. I couldn’t be happier with this setup. BUT, if I had a grand laying around to just **** away I’d sure like to see what the 27” Tri/Bi claws on the ITP aluminum Magnum wheels would be like. It’ll probably never happen though. Aside from the expense, I feel like hanging those big, heavy tires all the way around, added to the mods I’ve already made, would be too much stress on the drive train. I’ve compromised the durability about as much as I want to.

I didn’t know about the spring and cam kit. That would be one way to go. Polaris also makes rubber spacers to fit in the springs that don’t allow them to compress all the way. That might be a cheap fix if you’re just trying to compensate for extra weight on the front end.