Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ok new guy...Just bought a used 400 sport!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok new guy...Just bought a used 400 sport!

All right. I just had a few questions. My quad is a 97 400 sport. I got it today. I think the drive belt needs to be replaced. I hear a thumping noise coming from the clutch cover. When I give it a little gas it goes away. Is my asumption correct?. I need new front pads, and also a cover for the front hub. I am looking for a good online parts place. If anyone has any ideas please email me at ryankmiller@comcast.net . I am not sure if links can be posted on the site.

Ryan

Old 09-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

this link is for partsland.com they have all the stock parts you will need link

Old 09-23-2003, 12:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Get yourself a maint. manual. Find the crankcase drainplug (for moisture), starter drainplug. Change the counterbalance oil (10w30), and change out the trans fluid, Polaris sythetic. Change the fuel filter, and inline oil filter's also.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

These guys have good advice. I have had the belt noise too. most likely its not your belt. try putting it in nuetral and when you rev it up press on the case in different ways to see if the sound will go away. if it does then your case has been heat warped or is missing some screws. your clutch may also be out of balance but i doubt that seens how it goes away. my bet is the case is warped. you might also try to take the case off and see if it does it without it.

Old 09-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, Yea it seems that the case is warped. when I pull up on the case it goes away. I bought a new belt today anyway. If the belt is fine I will have a backup. I will find something out later today I hope.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ok. I took the case off. I can see that the clutch is hitting the case. It is hitting it at the top just like I thought. The belt looks fine. In nuetral It makes the sound still with the cover on. With the cover off it makes no sounds. Looking at the clutch while the motor is running. It looks a little off balance. It's hard to tell from the odd shape and all. But, If I look at the very center shaft. It appears to be about 1/8 in out of balance. I didn'k know if this is normal or not. The case looks fine. It doesn't appear to be warped in any way. It has all the screws in it. I put it back together and it still makes the noise. I don't know if I need a new clutch or a cover. Any advise?

Ryan

Old 09-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ryan-
I highly doubt it is your clutch that is bent although i have done that from landing hard on a jump. Most likely it is you case, but you cant look at it and notice. If the clutch is rubbing on the cover, the cover is probably warped. You can try taking some screws out and tightening some down to try and hold it in a place where the clutch doesnt touch the cover. If your clutch was out of balance you whole quad would shake when reved up. If you end up buying/trying a new clutch cover make sure you do both the front and back sections. Because the back will warp along with the front and a new front will most likely not match up. but on to a different subject ryan, i dont know how much power your machine has but just a little bit of information, mine loves to eat chains for lunch!! if i was you i would make the investment of a hpd chain tensioner. an excellent investment. and cheaper than buying new chains. well that is all i have thanks

Old 09-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Cool, thanks for the update. I will try to find one of these cases on a online source. This quad is stock except for a K&N filter. I will look into the chain tensioner you are talking about also.

Ryan

Old 09-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

WOW!!! $170 for the front and back cover for the clutch. Anyone find a better price..... That is some very expensive plastic. While I try to find it cheaper I will see what I come up with to ease the problem at hand.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Take the cover off and heat it with a propane torch on the inside. then push it back out where it was hitting. Be careful not to posh a hole in it-very thin. Put it back on & try it again. Note where its hittin & repeat. Youve got nunnin to loose ur gonna buy a new one anyhow.

Quick Reply: Ok new guy...Just bought a used 400 sport!