Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch cover problems (I think) please help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003 | 09:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Clutch cover problems (I think) please help...

Ok, those of you that read my other post and know what is going on. I thank you. for all your help.. I just wanted to put a better title so maybe some more people with the same proble can chime in.

For those of you that don't know. I bought a 97 polaris 400 sport. Just after I got it. The clutch started to hit my cover. I have been informed that these covers do warp and will cause this problem. I found the cover for $140 for the front and back shipped to my door. Since I had this problem I have taken the cover off and noticed that the clutch is hitting the cover on the top side. I just bought a new belt and put it on and now it seems a little worse. I hope its just because the belt is stiffer, and will quit down. I do have all screws in the cover and they are all tight. It does not matter if I push up on the cover or not it still makes the noise. However if I pull it out a little it quiets down. I did measure the distance from the marks in the cover to the outer edge. It is definately the clutch and not a belt. I am very sorry to go no and on about this. I just want to fix my problem with out spending money on otherwise unneeded parts.

Anyone else had this problem and it was the case? I would like your input...Is a $140 reasonable price for the front and back cover?

Thanks you guys,
Ryan

Old 09-24-2003 | 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, It sounds liek your clutch cover, but just the front cover check and see if the back cutch cover is warped mine wasn't, but since you have a sport i would do what i did i replace my clutch cover with a 2003 trailblazer 400 clutch cover, its made of heavy duty plastic and will not warp or melt like your factory one does the only thing bad about this is you have to buy a trailblazer belt vent to no biggy just 20 more dollars, 115 should get you everything, and you will fix the problem, Instead of just postsubone the problem with the factory one, You all right know that the factory 1997 sport clutch cover melts so fix the problem with the trailblazer cover and vent, plus to me the cover looks better.

Old 09-24-2003 | 10:03 PM
|
Pro Rider

That is what I am looking for. FIX the poblem not put it off to happen again. Is this what everyone does? or just what you did. Where did you find your cover and vent? You wouldn't happen to have a digital picture of it so I can see how it fits? Would you.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 09-24-2003 | 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I went to my local polaris dealership and i told them i needed a clutch cover, and they asked me what happen and i told them they told me they have alot of people with this problem on olders polaris , and he told me to replace it with a trailblazer {2003} 400 clutch cover and vent and the problem should never happen again , and let me tell you the thing fits on just like the factory one take a max. of 15 minute install the vent and new clutch cover, and while you have it off check your clutches and check you belt and replace you belt as well, as well when you buy a new clutch cover i would buy a new foam gasket to go between the iner and outer clutch cover, helps keep water out, and plus if you get the trailblazer 400 cover you get a drain plug made on the cover in case you ever do get water in your clutch cover and the belts slip all you have to do is let it drain out of the drain on the clutch cover, and your ready to roll again, i would say replace it with the trail blazer 400 clutch cover is the only way i would go then the problem won't happen again , the price of the factory clutch cover verse the trailblazer 400 's is for the 20 dollars for the vent but the vent fit right where the factory one is and will fit on your quad.