Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MUD IN RADIATOR

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2000, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody successfully made a modification to prevent mud from getting in the radiator? I have an sp500, and have to avoid alot of the deep mud holes because the mud gets in my radiator pretty bad and causes the quad to overheat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-06-2000, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

My Sport overheated for the first time two weeks ago. I got towed back to camp, only about a mile. After poking around for a minute or two, I noticed the radiator was a solid wall of mud. Used the hose and a stiff bristle brush and was off to the trails.

Old 06-06-2000, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your local hardware store and purchase some fiberglass screen,the same stuff that is used for fiberglass screening on the storm doors of most homes.Bungy cord it to the front of your radiator.When it gets dirty,remove the bungy cords that are holding it in place and go wash it.Once it's washed,install it back on the front side of the radiator.No mud will be allowed to even make it to the radiator like this.Best of luck,===Bill

Old 06-07-2000, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

A second idea, A while back, mudmachine posted a very good idea. search for post titled:

For those who ride deep water/mud

Or just search for mudmachine and you should fine his suggestion. In short it was to put on a tire stem and add a plastic hose from it to higher up your atv then the water you drive in. Find and read his post however.... rangerchet

Old 06-07-2000, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

one thing that i did to prevent mud from building up in the radiator....i have a 2000 sportsman 500 with a front kimpex bumper...was to take a holeshot skid plate from a snowmobile(i don't know what year and make of snowmobile it was for but my dealer had a black one lying on the floor for only $20 so i took that one)...i took and mounted the skid plate to the bottom front end of the sportmans to the bottom of the front bumper....i had to cut some of the skid plate to make it fit and look good but the stuff cuts very easy...i was i little worried that this would cut off some of the natural air flow to the radiator while trail riding but that hasn't been a problem at all....i still get some mud into the radiator but it probably cut it down by 80-90%....and the skid plate also helps protect that area and believe it or not helps while riding in mud because it helps with flotation in the mud and keeping the front end up.....if you want i can figure out what year and make of snowmobile the skid plate was for..it fit so nice after i was done modifying it that most people think that it is stock or that it was made by polaris and want to know where i ordered it from....this is just one thing that i did...like i said b/4 it doesn't keep all the mud out but it also gives you some other benifits....took me about 45 minutes to install...i would make small cuts then fit it to the machine then make small cuts and fit again until it look good... drill a few holes for bolts....hope this helps

Old 06-07-2000, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

mngoat,

I have a similar setup to yours, sort of.

The stock Polaris twin round tube bumper has two brackets that simply bolt to the ATV behind the tubes. My dealer installed an aftermarket twin tube bumper (brand unknown) that has a plate attached to the lower tube. The plate is about 6-8 inches wide. It extends back towards the rad (to sit a winch on), then down in front of the rad to meet the part of the machine where the A-arms attach. In fact, I believe it bolts to the two tow holes in the frame (eliminating their usefulness). Basically it looks like a front skid plate. This is on a '98 Sportsman.

This plate has protected the front of the machine on many occasions from stumps, sticks and other obstacles. I do believe it is the reason I see very limited mud and grass build up in the rad. I have actually considered venting it to provide more airflow to the rad. I have never had overheating problems, so I have not vented it.

DJ

Old 06-07-2000, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Folks,
A few screening thoughts:

There has been some discussion about adding a layer of screening. Great idea but I have one concern. Screen blocks a lot of air flow. On a windy day stand in a window at home and guage the air flow. Remove the screen from the window and guage the airflow again. You will notice a big difference. I say, test the screen idea on your individual machine. It may keep the mud out but may make the engine run slightly hotter overall. I guess this is OK as long as it doesn't overheat.

There is already one layer of fine screening there. On my '98 Sportsman there is the coarse steel screen set away from the rad a few inches. This won't keep mud or grass out. Closer to the rad there is a fine meshed metal screen, much like house screening. This screen is in a plastic frame and appears to be held in by the plastic side rad covers in the wheel wells. It attaches to the plastic covers with "O" rings, two on each side. The side rad covers attach to the machine with 3 screws. The newer machines may be built differently. I have often thought of trying to make this screen more easily removable. This way is could be flushed, or simply banged out, on the trail if need be.

If the side plastic rad covers were more easily removable, then hose flushing of the rad would be an easier task. These side covers have a 3/4" (or so) round hole in them that I squirt the hose through as best I can (as well as flushing from the front and back, as best I can). Maybe I should simply get the hole saw out and make these holes bigger to aid in flushing.

Some thoughts,

DJ

Old 06-07-2000, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

deej.....yes that sounds very similar to the setup i made.. i did use the two holes that are on the bottom front of the machine....with the snowmobile skid plate mine is about 12 inches or so wide and it definatly protects that front area from stumps and such...the only draw back with mine is i can't put a winch on without futher cutting away some more of the skid plate where the winch would mount....but i have no plans for a winch....mngoat

Old 06-07-2000, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

I had a similar problem with the oil cooler on my 325 mag execpt I would choke up with hay or grass chaff while raking hay. I installed 1/4" hardware cloth in front of the cooler and it is easily cleaned.

Dan D.