Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

:( I'm a traitor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003 | 09:56 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default :( I'm a traitor!!!

It is a very sad day for me.... I've owned and ridden nothing but polaris for 8 years now...but today I brought home my new YFZ 450. Don't get me wrong, I love my polaris...and trust me, that is the only brand of snowmobile that will be in my yard...but I want to win races and the pred just wasn't doing it for me. The issues with the sliding and steering feedback and tall gear ratio just cost me too many precious seconds. I have to admit though, they yfz is a pretty sweet quad and has some nice features. Although it isn't the best trail quad!! I wish I could afford to keep both, but the pred is for sale....don't worry guys, I will still be a regular in this forum!! Maybe when I'm done with college this year I can afford to pick up a used scrammy and hpd the **** out of it!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2003 | 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

It is a sad day but that YFZ is sweet I agree. Good luck with the points I hope that does it for you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2003 | 10:38 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yeah, it is a pretty sweet quad! I guess I shouldn't say it's a sad day though. Any time you buy a new quad and feel the fush of pure horsepower between your legs and suffer from white knuckles and claiming to see god...then yeah, you tend to hop off with a big stupid grin on your face!! LOL!

Old 10-06-2003 | 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2003 | 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Not a traitor, just have to get what fits your needs. As you can see I am not brand loyal, there are reasons for each thing.

Old 10-07-2003 | 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Well said upnort.

Old 10-07-2003 | 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

BAH on the self-imposed Traitor label.........

I've owned yamahas, hondas, and polaris, and they all have their outstanding points.

What I'd REALLY like to hear though from you Pud, is a direct ride comparison between the YFZ coming from a long time predator rider.

Handling, acceleration, jumping manners, weight bias, and so on.

Survey Says?

KEEP us informed.......

Old 10-07-2003 | 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I knew you would see the light someday....Yamaha likes to race their machines and are built to take it. Your Pred broke too often if pushed hard. You will like a lighter quad.

03 black and red Raptor
modded stock airbox and muffler
PRM Desert Grab Bar

Old 10-07-2003 | 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ive ridden both... like my pred alot more.. but the yfz is a better race quad and if you race... you gotta do what you gotta do to win..
tho i am a beliver that its all rider not quad, if you need to buy a new quad to win more races then your doing something wrong...
and i thot the pred and 450 were in diff classes..?

Old 10-07-2003 | 09:32 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hozed, maybe in mx they are in different classes, but in xc, it’s quad A and quad B!! I do agree rider ability has a huge issue to do with it…but the quad does make a difference, and frankly the quad’s edge was way under mine!! I hate to bash the pred, but how many have you seen destroying GNCC classes?

As for the comparison…I will be detailed and windy, but here goes!! The weight is definitely noticeable, or lack thereof. The smooth tank lines really agree with me, where as I actually bought knee pads cause I would have bruises from hooking the predator’s gap in the tank. The front tires of the yfz have a 5 degree caster, so when you turn the bars, it turns now!! And with the even weight distribution, the back end follows, whereas the pred (as we have read and experienced) will push and slide costing time and forcing body repositionment, and delyed time to get back on the throttle. I will admit that the combination of the rear sliding of the pred and the awesome pro steering, that it definitely turns sharper, but a little throttle and weight adjustment on the yfz and you can have the same results. The seat on the yfz is a little on the hard side, but it is so low it takes no effort to reposition yourself on the seat, and it doesn’t force you into a forward “crotch-rocket” like position like the pred likes to do. Althought Polaris does make the softest seats in the industry…which does lead me to say the I would definitely pick the pred over the yfz for trails riding. The suspension is much more plush at low speeds as is the seat. But you take the yfz with a little higher speeds, and that suspension feels better than Elka equipped quads that I’ve ridden on. The yfz loves to be pushed. The tranny shifts so effortlessly it sounds like an automatic to a spectator, you don’t hear the shifts and the shifting really is as good as they say. It’s 1.5” narrower stance feels much more comfortable in the tight woods, and just as stable as the pred in the air….or even more so, because it doesn’t get as nose heavy as the pred in the air. The symptom of the heavy front and dragging front brakes on the pred causes a gyro that asks for an endo…been there, done that. The yfz launches for the moon and with some weight movement is ready to land and launch to the next corner. The skids on the yfz are just as cheesy as the raptor and will definitely need .190 on the bottomside….I really miss that thick composit swing arm skid on the pred…that was a sweet skid!! The chain adjustment on the yfz is kind of retarded, but they have etching lines so you can line up each side evenly (cough, write that down kawi-suki’s). The higher revs on the yfz really make for some sweet accel compared to the pred, and throttle response is instant, so blasting corners, and gaining speed at jump peaks is effortless. The yfz has a design that keeps the front down and helps it launch like the pred, but give it a slight tug and throttle, and it lifts the front 5x as easy as the pred, and it does it more predictably. There is a lot more engine vibration through the handlebars and footpegs, but I was wearing shoes, I usually don’t notice it with riding boots. And I think aftermarket bars or softer grips will hide it from the hands.

Whew, I don’t think I forgot anything!! If I did I am open to corrections, additions, and questions and comments! So guys, is that a fair comparison or not? I would love to keep the pred for trail riding and vacations, but my accountant (like I can afford that either) says one must go!

Quick Reply: :( I'm a traitor!!!