Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 sportsman 400(425)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 400(425)

Well I did what I said I wouldn't do, I purchased another polaris (sportsman 400). I took a kodiak 400 for a test drive, the runout model ie low range and disc rear end. I didn't like the way it rode. It seemed too soft in the front end which made it lift the rear when turning sharply and the steering seemed to kick around a lot on bumps and ruts. I have no doubt that they are more reliable than the polaris, but for the farm work I do and the rocky, hilly terain that I ride I think the polaris will be more suited. So long as It holds together. My last one which I traded today was a 1999 model sportsman 335 with 8600 miles. Problems included 5 universal joints replaced, 1 stater, 1 carby kit, rebuild belt drive and worn out tie rod ends. Hopefully the new one 04 model has rectified some of these problems. I haven't seen one yet, but purchased it anyway. The dealer that I purchased the polaris from is also the yamaha and honda dealer, so there is no advantage in changing brands to get better service. The only reason I think the polaris will be better is the independant rear end, which will handle running over large rocks on slopes without tipping over as easily. Here in Australia I had to pay $11250 for the sportsman and the Kodiak 400 was $10000 and the 450 was $11000. You guys don't know how lucky you are in the US with regards to purchasing power and the average wage. That bike here in oz is a third of the average persons yearly income, and I pay US $2.85 per gallon for fuel. I had to purchase another set of tyres 4ply rating before riding as the three star titan tyres it comes with are no good at withstanding puntures. Polaris is the only manufacturer that continues to import ATV's here without 4 ply tyres. I will put the originals in the shed for when I trade it in. You may be interested to know that here in Australia ATV's are very rarely if ever used for recreational purposes, only for farmers. If people here go trail riding they use 2 wheeled motorbikes. Is there any problems of features of the new 04 sportsman that I could cause me problems.(I haven't seen one yet) I have never owned a liquid cooled bike before, and hoping this one doesn't turn me off buying another one.

Cheers all
Scott

Old 10-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got an 04.5 Sportman 400 a week ago, and I've got 280 miles on it so far. It's a great machine, but you have to keep all the filters clean. If you don't, the engine starts to cut out at full throttle. Since it's been really dusty out here, I've had to clean them often. Other than that, it's a really nice ATV, worth every penny.

Isaac

Old 10-09-2003, 02:32 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

The Polaris machines have rectified the problems you had with your last machine. Liquid cooling is the only way to go as is the independant rear suspension. You made a good choice on your purchase.

Old 10-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was hoping that they had improved the belt drive system. The last one wore that rear vari pully out. It stopped working altogether. The lobes or fingers broke off after the shaft and sheaves flogged out. The dealer fixed it, I had a quick look and the rear one was full of metal dust from wear. It really is a poor design, metal running on metal with no grease points. The old header vari speed drive systems lasted a long time because they were greased regularly. The front pully had to have new guides, pins and rollers fitted, but the shaft was still ok. Does anyone know what they have changed on the current models to improve the relability? Thanks Scott.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

I hope this doesn't make you cry when I say this, but I just got a 04 Sportsman myself 2 weeks ago with the winch and i got it OTD for under $6500. It wasn't the best deal I could have made, but it was the best within 30 miles of my home. By the way, I love it. I wasn't sure it would have enough power as compared to the 500, but I am impressed. Only trick though is that I couldn't load it in back of my pickup(03 Ford f-150 extended cab short wheel base) unless I loaded it in backwards. That's the only way I could load it and still be able to close the tailgate. If I loaded it going forward, the front bumper would hit the back glass or I would have to leave the tailgate down which I didn't want to do as I wanted to be able to close and lock the tailgate. Glad I didn't get the 500 now as it wouldn't fit either way. Enjoy your new Sportsman!

Old 10-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi everyone,

Just bought the new sportsman400 041/2. What an awesome machine. The suspension is amazing. The engine runs smooth and has excellent response. I've only got 4.5 hrs on it so I am still taking it easy for break in. The manual says to change the oil at 20 hrs. Anyone know of a good synthetic brand or should I stick to polaris until the warranty is done? No regrets buying this one. When the dealer told me I was getting the 041/2 I was very happy. I like the new transmission much better than the earlier model. Just another happy polaris owner.

Yardmaster

Old 10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to ya both.

Yard master go ahead and use the polaris oil. You can also use the new amsoil 0w-40 It meets all the polaris specs.

Rider

Old 10-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your tips,

The manual says to use an all season grease, any type in particular?

yardmaster

Old 10-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think 5 u-joints, carb kit, belt drive, stator, and tie rod ends is nota lot of repairs for an ATV with over 15000 km on it, personally I don't know anybody with that many miles on it. I know a few people with other brands that have rebuilt engines and transmissions with less miles than that. Infact I met a guy on the weekend with a 2001 Grizzly who had to get his rebuild his engine at 3000 miles. I think you will be happy with the 400 SP and I hope my 99 335 SP lasts as well as the one you had.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

The new 400 finally arrived on the 25th, there was a hold up with the freight. Not having seen one before purchasing, I was surprised with what has been changed since my other bike. The front hubs have been moved to be incorporated inside the front diff. The rear end looks bigger. Very few grease nipples, I haven't had a good look yet though. The new electronic dash looks good, even has a fuel guage. The oil tank has a decent dip stick on it, but the tank is made out of poly. I didn't get a choice on colour though, it's blue with red rear suspension. The steering is a little lighter and turns sharper. I don't like the new straight through gear shifter and the seat is way too soft. The engine is hesitating under moderate loads ie uphill at 20mph but won't when on level ground. It doesn't idle very smoothly as can be seen with the new electronic tacko. The old model came with a rear 12 volt 2 pin connector for accesories, does anyone know whether the new bike has the connector? I couldn't find one. The new 400 has large guard extenders which is a must, before you got covered with mud if you went more than 10mph. The dip stick on the rear end has been replaced with a filler plug, it always worried me that water would seep past the old dip stick. In the manual it recommeded the oil changes be done at 50 hours or 500miles. This would be ideal, but on the last one I changed the oil every 1000 miles. It would be very black though (castrol GPS)
Its good to see polaris moving forward and making changes hopefully for the better, I will soon find out. Cheers all
Scott

Quick Reply: 04 sportsman 400(425)