Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

wow! cv boot clamps suck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2000 | 01:52 AM
|
Range Rover

what is the secret to getting the clamps back on the cv boots. i pulled the wheel, popped the A arm off, then popped the shaft out. boy that was easy enough!! yeah right!!! getting the clips off was alittle bit of a pian the a$$. i started the wonder...hmmmm, bet they are going to be tough to get back on. boy was i right. whats the trick to getting them back on. i was going to go as far as putting big zip ties on and saying screw it with the clamps. didn't have big enough zip ties. i literally tried to get the clamp on for an hour and a half. then my buddy came to give me a hand and we tried for a half hour, but the clamps were already beat up, including the original ones. i gave up for tonight. i was ready to burn the thing. oh, by the way, the rcr kit works nice. i only road for about 10 mintues before getting into the dreaded project. then to top it off i put the boot on before sliding the shaft back into place. now i can't see to line the shaft up with the splines in the correct position. and i am not taking the boot back off because i have to caught by one notch, and its on there pretty good. looks like the other end of the shaft is going to come off so i can line it up easier. what a project. and all just to replace two $8 items. any recomendations on the clamps?

bigdevil '99 400 scrambler/w rcr stage 1

Old 06-09-2000 | 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

well are we having fun yet Hell no ? What you will probably have to do is get those ***** and inner ring lined up on the cv joint You need to move the boot then once that is locked in place put it all back together axel shaft in place. Then put the put back to it,s original place be carfull there is a ring that the boot sits in for alingment then put the band clamp back on i use a small pair of needel nose vise grips they work pretty good Be patient or it will fight you all the way. Hope this Help LoL

Old 06-09-2000 | 09:36 AM
Range Rover

Well with my experiences with those darn things, I HATE THEM!!!!!!!! I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers and a screw driver! It does work you just have to F&^% around with it!

Hope everything goes well for you.

Chuck (99 Scrambler, DG Bumper, DynoPort Pipe, K&N, ITP Holeshots on Douglas .190, New Jetting, and a couple of other fixin's!)

Old 06-09-2000 | 10:03 AM
Range Rover

well they do make a special tool for the cv boot clamps. I too used a pair of needle nosed pliers and a screwdriver. My one question is where did you get the boots for only $8.00?????? The dealer charged me $20.00.

Old 06-09-2000 | 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Wow,

Sounds like you are reusing the old clamps?? I have never had this trouble. Slip the boot into place, slip the new band clamps into place, and crimp them down with the correct tool (not expensive at any auto parts shop). I have tried to use standard tools in the past and only end up messing up the clamps or not getting them tight enough.

This is not a difficult job with the right tool and some practice.

DJ

Old 06-09-2000 | 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Lisle Tools makes a plier that is made for the earless clamps. Part # is 30500. Makes the job pretty simple. Can be ordered from most auto stores.

Old 06-09-2000 | 06:16 PM
Range Rover

Bigdevil, go get that special tool everyone speaks of! Other tools make it a major pain, which you have experienced. It took 4 hours for me to put mine on using a pair of needle nosed pliars and a screwdriver. But, it didn't get tight enough so I have to redo it!!!

Old 06-09-2000 | 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

The CV boot tool only costs 4.95 at the local auto parts store here. There is also a type of clamp that has a ball bearing type of lock. It looks like a large zip tye made of stainless steel but instead of using a little piece of plastic it has a ball bearing that semi retracts and locks the band. I used one of these on a King Quad and didn't have a problem with it. I went and got the band tool for the other side as the dealer only had the one easy one and I wanted to go riding. Save yourself the agravation and get the band tool. Then all you'll need to tighten it up is a 7/16 wrench.

Old 06-10-2000 | 02:52 AM
Trailblazer

Don't forget the driveline repair shops. They have tons of differnt boots and clamps. I used a Honda car boot on my Big Bear years ago. Not a exact fit but I made it work. AND the price of the boot was half of the oem boot.