Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EPI CV boot straps

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPI CV boot straps

I just got my new boot kit and I don't see how the clamps work even in my hand. They look nothing like the straps that are on the old boots. These are smooth metal straps that appear that they will need to be wrapped around the boot twice since they are so long. I have read about needing/not needing the strap tool but since these don't look like my old ones I am wondering what kind of straps the tool is for. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

They make a tool for that type strap, the loose end of the strap is inserted into the tool and it winds up and tightens up the strap around the boot. You can get one at most any auto parts store. I got one at autozone for about $10.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Well I bought a tool that looks like pliers but still have no clue how the clamps install or how this tool works. I have looked at what seems like a hundred different threads on this forum but can't find one with an illustration on installing the straps (other than how much they suck). If someone could point me into an illustrated diagram it would be much appreciated.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Got my band back on using needle nose pliers, 2 guys, and a small screwdriver. If you havent already noticed the bar of the band must fit over the nipple. There should be a way to try it off first at the right diameter of band. The tool must pull the band tight to the point of compressing the rubber and slide the bar over the nipple. There are some "grab points" up a litte from the nipple on the band. Sorry have only seen picture of tool

Old 10-16-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Warning EPI CV JOINT BOOT Straps do not hold and you have to buy a specail,tool, Go to a Car parts store{car quest/napa} ask them for a CV joint straps that are univerals they and great fit perfect, andal lyou need is a flat head screw driver and a pare of normal peirs, the cv joint strap for two cost 4 bucks.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

with that said you could have got out cheaper if you would have brought your torn cv joint to napa and they would have got you a replacement one thats the same size and fit off of a front wheel drive car cv joint boot for bout 7 bucks, and if you ever blow a cv joint go to napa first,

Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone....I will try some different straps. These EPI ones don't look like they would work too well.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Nope they won't i know almost blow a new cv joint b/c the straps comes loose and i brought the 15 dollar peirs still didn't work so i went to the univeral, and they workgreat gets real tight

Old 10-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

My conclusion:

Don't buy the EPI kit...since you need to use differnt staps you are paying more than others (the kit from the dealer is $5 less). My strap tool wouldn't even work with the larger EPI strap.

Spend the extra 5 minutes to remove the hub!. Trying to get a greasy boot on the CV while mounted to the strut housing is about impossible. I ended up wasting a boot since part of it was folded over when I put the clamp on.

BTW. Does anyone have a part number for the automotive boot that works? I seen a post for the Super Boot but NAPA did not stock it. Does anyone know what model of car uses a similar boot? This would be great for future reference.

Quick Reply: EPI CV boot straps