Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

whats with these new Sportsman tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats with these new Sportsman tires?

Those new XTR's have a 3 star raiting, and they are 6 ply. The Rawhides were 3 star, and 2 ply. They were a good tire but they did not last long. They were down fast. The new XTR's are lighter better ply and the same raiting, and i hear they are better on snow, ride smoother, are about the same in the mud, and pull better. So I'm all for the new XTR's, I think Polaris was smart for what they did.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Mine didnt wear fast, they wore pretty darn good. I put 750 miles on them, hard riding, and they had a good 3/4s of the tread left. I only replaced them to go taller. I refuse to believe that the xtr is "about the same in mud". Thats just bull. Their ad said they pull better on hardpacked grass (whatever that is) I'll be sure to get some if I start getting stuck on hardpacked grass. I for one dont mind a little weight. After all, I went from a Scrambler to a 700.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

The XTR will fool you. It has a flatter footprint and just for sakes saying you will have to just try the things I thought OMG here were go selling out on the tires but was thoroughly impressed as I took a Sportsman out on two trail rides and one was in rainsoaked clay mud and the XTR climbed right on up the hills with little problem.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

The main reason I think they switched to the badland radials is they are 20lbs lighter than the rawhides like most of you have already said. Its probably true that the new badlands give the sportmans better handling though.I doubt that they work in the mud as good as the rawhides do. I'm pretty sure the rawhides are 4 ply not 2 ply.I also thought radial tires don't have a ply rating.I only have about 1350 miles on my rawhides but the tread hasn't wore down very much. I'm surprised to hear about the all the broken axles and drive shafts.I figured the drive shafts on the polaris's were tough because of how much bigger they are then some of the other manufactorers atvs.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

the ply for the rawhides are right. go to the goodyear web site and look for yourself.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Radial tires were designed for better handling on the road, they don't help in the mud, although I'm sure their are better yard tires (hardpacked grass)..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

what I really want to see is a 03 sportsman go against an 04.5 of the same cc with the same rider in a deep mudhole and then we'll know.........any takers out there??

Old 10-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Lovemud

I'd take ya up on that offer if we could just get enough rain here to make a decent mud hole. Would really like to see what this whole mud boggin thing is all about. ( not just pics and vids) But for now I'll just have to dream.

Rider

Old 10-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

you haven't lived untill you've had to stand on the seat and thow a rope to a friend for a tug out..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
I was told by a Polaris rep that the main reason for dropping the rawhides is that they were way to aggressive for the machines. They have had to many warranty claims of axles breaking and found the rawhides to grab a little to well thus breaking drivetrain components. They are a pretty mean tire. I think they just need to beef up the axles and drive shafts. The tires that have replaced the rawhides had a big drop in breakage.
Sounds like they need better axles not !@#* tires!!! How much trouble do people have when they run big wheel kits with agressive tires???

Old 10-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sorry Polaris5610, I thought the rawhides were 4 ply. It also seems weird that the rawhides are only 2 ply because of their weight and aggressive tread.

Quick Reply: whats with these new Sportsman tires?