Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

whats with these new Sportsman tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats with these new Sportsman tires?

Sounds like they need better axles not !@#* tires!!! How much trouble do people have when they run big wheel kits with agressive tires???
to answer your question, I knew full well that putting bigger tires on would strain the drivetrain, and that I would have to upgrade the axles eventually. I didn't expect the stock axles to fail after 3 hours riding in the snow. I got high-centered in some icy deep snow, and when I dug down far enough the suspension was at full droop, which allowed the inboard yoke on one side to bind, snapping the yoke and u-joint apart. That allowed the other side to pick up the slack, causing the outboard CV joint to explode. The stock front axles are puny little pieces of crap. I know mine broke due to increased angles from the modifications I made, but the stock parts are still too small for a big torquey motor. I don't know why they don't put dual CV shafts in like most everybody else does. My father in law has a Kodiak 450 with dual CVs, and they are almost level horizontally. The stock Polaris ones are already at a steep angle before you lift it. I have lifted and 4-wheeled some trucks in my time, so I have a pretty good idea about driveline strength. The aftermarket dual CV shafts I put in are built from car axles, they will flex far better and are much much stronger. They were expensive, but only a little more than a stock replacement axle. Anyway, the front axles are definitely a weak link, almost a fuse, and I agree that going to a wimpy tire is a step in the wrong direction. That's what I would call "building down". They should have kept the Rawhides and put in dual CV front axles.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I agree, I would pay a little more for a new machine that's built solid.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

My early 04' Sportsman 500ho has the Rawhides on it and I love them. I was a little upsed the the 04-1/2's had the fuel guage etc, but would rather have the Rawhides if I had to make a choice. They are great tires and work well in rocky steep situations. I probably have 600 miles on them now and the tread is holding up exceptionally well.

I can see where less tire weight would decrease rotating mass thus makeing them a little quicker, which may be another issue they are addressing. I know I felt like mine was a little doggy to begin with but either I have gotten use to it, or it is just running better now that it is broke in.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy just bought a 04 "Hunter edition" It came with camo, Rawhides and a winch. I guess that now they are going to offer an off road package, in addition to the regular Sportsman. I asked him if it came with any off road decals, like a Z-71.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

The reason for Polaris going to a less aggressive tire was to do there part in decreasing the amount disruption to the environment. The more aggressive tires tear up the earth more and disturb 'Nature'. Same reason why 90% of other bikes come with wimpy tires, Environmentalists are protesting ATV manufactures because of the damage they are causing to our forests etc. They are basically forcing manufactures to put less aggressive tires on. In some ways I agree but in other ways I love my Rawhides!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Heck my next set of tires will probably be a set of Mudzilla's!

Old 11-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

The new tire Is 8lbs lighter