Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

whats with these new Sportsman tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats with these new Sportsman tires?

Just found out about the Rawhides being dropped from the lineup...
Why would they get rid of the best thing they ever had, and replace it with a lame looking tire like everybody else has? There go the sales, right out the window. I do not care how these Badlands tested, they look wimpy, and looks are a big part of recreational toys, besides that there are going to be a lot of P.O.d people riding 04s when they can't hang with the 03s. So what if they "ride smoother" Nobody gets stuck on smooth trails. And who wants smooth anyway? Thats why we go off road, isn't it? Jeez am I ticked off.
Bad idea. Bad bad bad.
Oh well, I'm glad I've already got my 02 and 03 Sportsmans with REAL tires.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

i think it was ok to drop the rawhides, over one account they should have a replaced them with teh rawhide Rad. like on the 650 artic cat

Old 10-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

the Arcti-Saki 650 has Rawhides? Havent seen one yet.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, Savage21, I just checked out A-cats website, the 650 is shown with some lame looking Dunlops. Couldnt find any Rawhides. I dont like the idea of them putting together quads with someone elses motor etc, but I gotta admit I like the 26" tire size and 13 " ground clearance. I love the lime racing green, but the new lime colored pushbumper guard thing looks retarded. Should have been black.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was told by a Polaris rep that the main reason for dropping the rawhides is that they were way to aggressive for the machines. They have had to many warranty claims of axles breaking and found the rawhides to grab a little to well thus breaking drivetrain components. They are a pretty mean tire. I think they just need to beef up the axles and drive shafts. The tires that have replaced the rawhides had a big drop in breakage.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry its the Acrtic 650 LE that comes with the rawhide rad. tires and crome wheels

Old 10-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at the LE too, in the picture it still had Dunlops. Oh well, anyway, didnt the 04 Sportsmans have Rawhides at first? Theyve been out since last winter, seems like i would have heard something before now. As far as breakage goes, I pounded mine to death without ever hurting it, then I put on the 28s and broke both front axles within 3 hours.

Old 10-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer gave me the scoop... the badlands are about 20 lbs lighter (set) and the rawhides are a little to agressive( had cases of TO MUCH traction), and better ride and handleing from the badlands. I have a set (XTR's)0n my 04.5 500 seems to be a pretty good tire but really wants to spin in the powder we call dirt here in the west desert of UT. I will probably put a set of the new Maxxis bighorns and rims on as soon a expences let me. They just look way to cool with the agressive tread, raised white letters and the new maxxis 8 spoke wheels.

Hope this helps

Rider

Old 10-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Less breakage...... MORE STUCKage ...... hence more SUCKage !!!!!

As much of a Polaris fan as I am, I really don't like the idea of "downgrading" a part to fix another underdesigned part.....

50 de-merits for polaris.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:23 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

The Rawhides were dropped due to big weight savings also. The Rawhides are INCREDIBLE tires with a smooth ride. I have them on my 2002 500 and think they are tops!

Quick Reply: whats with these new Sportsman tires?