Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How HOT does your Predator run???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How HOT does your Predator run???

Just got back from Glamis, and as usual the Predator ran great. But, it seems like it has always run a little on the hot side. The weather was cool (for Glamis)....70-80 degrees, and every time, after riding for less than 10 minutes, the fan would kick on, and continue to run the entire time the bike was running. When I shut it down, I would leave the key on to let the fan keep running for a few minutes. Also, I noticed that a little coolant had spit out of the hole in the overflow bottle cap during riding each time. I see no coolant leaks anywhere else, and the oil appears to be free of coolant as well. Does this sound normal? BTW, my bike is bone stock except for some of MODQUAD's radiator shrouds. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Mine does the same thing but nothing seems to be wrong. The sand puts a lot of stress on the cooling system because of higher than normal revs and lower than normal airflow when running the hills etc.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ya thats normal in that temperature... leaving the key on is a waste of time just to tell ya... no collant is flowing so its only cooling whats it your radiator.
they fan kicks on at 170 degrees i think.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

Cool. Thanks guys.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not running the shrouds yet, but I do run engine ice, and it keeps the bike a lot cooler than stock. The stuff can also be ran during the winter (Wisconsin here) without freezing, just like antifreeze.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i have engine ice also.. i noticed no difference except the absence of 12 dollars in my wallet.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

I found my fan kicking in a lot less with the engine ice. I know I still need the shrouds, I do a lot of on/off throttle in tight areas, so not a lot of air gets in there.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i thot about getting the Pure Polaris ones... made from plastic 25$.. wasnt sure if tehy would be to small tho... i think they would hold up better vs. the metal ones... like in a crash or rocks and **** hitting them.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

The Water Wetter also works great, I have run engine ice also, both do help lower temps. Radiator shrouds are a must in warmer weather. I also do some other mods that i would not recommend with winter aproaching, but for race only, they will keep your engine cool and the fan will rarely come on period. You can replace the thermostat with a restrictor plate, coolant flows through the radiator at all times, thus removing more heat. Again this works in the desert when its really hot or race only. Doing this in the winter will cause your engine to run to cool and damage can occur. Not getting enough heat in the cylinder is just as bad as overheating. We mix water and water wetter to get a temp of 180'. sometimes we tape of part of the radiator to keep the temp close to that range if weather is cool. Another thing that can be done is a custom aluminum radiator. about 400.00 but you can run without a fan. Great for drag bikes that weight is an issue. Remove the fan, no need for shrouds that create wind resistance, but a bit on the pricy side.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

guys guys guys dont u understand that u NEED TO BUY AND RIDE RED HONDA!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: How HOT does your Predator run???