Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How far can you reliably go with Predator mods??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far can you reliably go with Predator mods??

Cool guys! How about the Aaen Predator 540 big bore kit? It's only $500 and you get the cylinder bored, re-plated, piston, and gaskets. Would that be a good start for the motor? Later I could add cams, rev box, and stiffer valve springs... Some good ol' porting too. And get a decent carb. Would this be a reliable set up? How much of a gain would this be? Would it be surprising, and be able to beat similarly modded raptors and possibly some DS's? Thanks for the replies!

Old 11-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I can only speak for the Superbike 580 kit, it produces over 50hp with ported head. The stock cams have proven to be the best set up for a Predator. There has been alot of testing by the different cam company's and Superbike, the stock cam out does them all for all around performance. Turning a stock rod to 10000 rpm's is going to lead to destruction. The stock valve springs are good for 9100 and thats all you need. If you want to run 10000, change the rod!!!! and run better springs. A couple of company's are producing CDI box's. HPD, Rath and vortec have them available. Pipes have created quite a difference of opinion, I have not seen one tested yet that was more than 1 or 2 HP better than the rest that are not custom made. Several built predator's are more than holding there own at the drags, HPD and Nicholas cycle and Superbike all have Predators dominating the four stroke classes. I don't know what kind of times HPD or Nicholas cycle can turn, but don't expect to outrun the new Craycraft Rappy's anytime soon.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well put SP700, they all seem to be putting out some good numbers, its too bad some companys have to be $hitty while others better. And i've only bought somthing from one of the companys you speak of...if i could look back on it now, i wish i would have made a different choice on who to buy it from.

On another note, is SBS gonna have they're website up anytime soon..i know there hasnt been a new post on the forum in months..where did everyone go?

Old 11-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SP700RACER
I don't know what kind of times HPD or Nicholas cycle can turn, but don't expect to outrun the new Craycraft Rappy's anytime soon.
So this 580 you're talking about wont beat any 686 Rappy's?

Old 11-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

There is a guy running a turbo on a basically stock motor claiming no reliablity issues. I think the hp numbers are in the 70 range so I am assuming that the bottom end can at least handle that. Personally I am going to try a turbo set up as soon as I can get the parts rounded up. As far as suspension goes you cannot beat the Predator except with maybe a YZF (maybe a 04 TRX). But both of these have a pretty steap price tag. Just my two cents.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

There is not a four stroke I have ever seen that can outrun the Latest Craycraft bike, it's a little bigger than 686 also. I have outrun several big bore Raptor's. I am not saying they can't be out run, but your going to have to do more than just a big bore and porting. But I honestly don't think any Predator will out run the fastest Raptor's or DS. Sure they will be able to handle 90% of them but not the all out drag racer's. I have seen the claims and the video of the Predator's, not in the same league with Craycraft. None of us!!!!!

Superbike is building a new Polaris, KTM and Victory dealership. Mass production of predator parts is not on the agenda right now. Gary will build custom engines for your Predator. They do have an in house machine shop and Dyno.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm..building the big shop must have they're phones and email systems down...

Old 11-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Sweet, good enough for me. There aren't vary many fast quads that I'll have trouble with around here any way. A couple 450's but I'm not very worried. If the going gets too tough I can always go stroker... HEHEHE![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just one more question for you guys.. Does the rev limiter come in at 9100RPM's on the Predator? Feel free to continue with information. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Is it possible for someone to tell me what the rev limit is on a stock predator???

Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I do beleive its 8950, HOWEVER, it starts to kick in at around 8100 and pulls timing and such. Somone could correct me cause im probably wrong. the CDI moves it up to 9100, which isnt too much, but doesnt pull the timing so early..

Quick Reply: How far can you reliably go with Predator mods??