Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Counterbalance bad???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003 | 05:45 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Counterbalance bad???

How do you know when the couterbalancer is bad? I just had my top end done. I checked the CB fluid and it was gray so I changed it twice to flush it. Now that I got the top end back the motor won't stay running. You have to give it throttle. The motor sounds like it is "dragging" because when it dies it just stops instantly. It doesn't continue to roll over (fade out) like a bike normally does when it dies. Suggestions???

Old 11-17-2003 | 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to say but I think the counter balance bearings are shot. I've been down this road with my Tb 400. I'm not very impressed with the seal design on the counter balance.

Old 11-17-2003 | 06:24 PM
|
Trailblazer

I figured so. What all do you recommend I replace when I tear it down?

Old 11-17-2003 | 06:43 PM
Range Rover

I replaced mine when I did a top end job. I just press the old ones off and got new ones from a bearing store. They are common US bearing and are pretty cheap to buy. I think Polaris wants to sell you a whole assy. Big $$. The water pump seal is where the water get into the counterbalance area. It needs to be replaced when your in there. You will need access to a small press to remove the gear and bearings. Not a big deal. Goood luck, Charles

Old 11-17-2003 | 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Nascar,
Explain the changing of the main balance shaft bearing again - I had my machinist look at them several years ago and he said it wasn't do-able - maybe he just didn't want to mess with it?? How are you keeping timing on the gear??

Old 11-17-2003 | 11:40 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Yep sounds like the balancer is bad.Try not to run it anymore or you will risk pieces of the bearings coming thru the front of the case.This same thing happened to a friends bike.The main gear is keyed on the crank shaft,thats how it stays in time.

Old 11-18-2003 | 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

I know that the couterbalancer can be rebuilt cause I had to have mine done 6 months ago. Water seal leak!

Old 11-18-2003 | 07:35 AM
Range Rover

I just put a small scribe mark on the end of the shaft and gear, then put a socket or something like that the same size of the shaft and pressed it off. I figured if I messed it up, no big deal if it had to be replaced anyway. Turned out to be a easy (on the pocket book) fix. Hardest part of the job was my inner bearing stayed in the engine case and it was a pain to get it out.

Old 11-18-2003 | 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

I guess I'll have to dig in the junk pile and see if I can find one and rebuild it.

Things like this is what makes this BB so useful.

Old 11-19-2003 | 04:01 AM
|
Trailblazer

This may be a stupid question but is this a job that requires removal of the engine? If so, has anyone seen a good article on how to do this? I am not afraid to go in blind (I do own a Polaris) but I always like to have a little bit of a jump start before I dive in.

Or is anyone interested in taking it off my hands for a lot cheaper than what it would take to fix????

Quick Reply: Counterbalance bad???