Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Got busted riding my quad!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 02:33 AM
pid
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got busted riding my quad!!

Being from a small town in kansas i've never got busted with a ticket, but have got several warnings. however if i ever got a ticket, i'm sure i'd be as pissed as all of you who have gotten one. but the fact is the cops are just doing there job, ya they could have let you off with a warning, but who knows how many warnings they've given to others in the same week or even day. I know its a bunch of bull that we can't ride on the roads, specaily when we're doing it with helmets and those scooters aren't, but its still illegal, and if you do it, you have to be willing to face the consequences if your caught. I've ridden on paved and dirt roads and whenever i see someone in the distant i get in the ditch so i can't get a ticket, but again i'm from kansas and its pretty flat. but still if your riding on a road and you know its against the law, i can't see how you get mad at the cop. you should be upset with the law that says you can't ride there. unless the cop is a major awhole in giving it. well anyways thats my 2 cents

Todd "pid" Ammeter

Old 11-19-2003, 02:36 AM
pid
Trailblazer

oh by the way sorry to hear those who got tickets got them, I'm not trying to sound like i'm backing the cops or the tickets

Old 11-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have been following this thread , and , from my experience cops are a good thing . I enjoy a police presence at my shop , I am doing nothing illegal .

One officer that has worked his way through college at my shop has done most of RcR's head work for over 10 years . Another drops off parts on his way to duty in my local police department . He is a service manager at a dealership I do business with .

ATV thefts are a big problem , we all know many who have had quads stolen , many of you have fell victim to this . Support the police , WELCOME their presence .

Remember who the bad guys really are ,,, THIEVES !!!!

Rick

Old 11-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry I don't Feel the way You do Rick. May there are some good Cops out there But, we haven't seen them Here in New Jersey.
It Would Nice To have them on our side.
BUT, I can't stand them here.
THEY TREAT EVERY ATVer AS A CRIMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They wouldn't Help us to much if our atvs were stolen.
The only thing we mean to them is PAY DIRTand Quoteda.
They can Fu<k Off. I will always RUN . AND THEY will always eat My Roost.

THe thing that gets me so mad is the fact that most of the riders are in the age range of 20--40 and have good jobs.
Mostly all are real good middle class people who are just tring to have some fun. Also they have ruined A good family sport.(who wants to bing there kid if they are a easy target) I understand that The few who are bad ruin it for all but, I haven't seen anyone ruinning it For us!!!
That old saying about ruinning it for the rest of us is a Bunch of bull!!!Just A saying to justify Being a *** Hole>
I know there just doing there Job But, I'm sure they could be looking for someone Who realy is braking the law

Old 11-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

The only reason I am responding to this thread is because things are slow here at work and I am bored.

Yes I have ridden on the roads and I have allowed my son to also ride on the roads - this is illegal in this area of MI even though it is very rural. However, if I get caught and receive a ticket so what! I see no point in crying about it and wasting space on this forum to tell the world about it.

People and specifically cops are not born with a gene that makes them hate ATV'rs. Attitudes are developed by experiences. After reading the posts in this thread I get the impression - Cops bad, ATV'rs good!

The more we (ATV'rs) break the laws- riding on the roads, trespass, cause excessive noise, ride off the marked trails..., just to name a few and get injured. The more restrictions will be placed upon us, more riding area's will be closed, and even higher fines will assessed.

Oh yeah, I used to be a cop, but I didn't like the hours or dealing with all the a$$ holes out there![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If I get a ticket for breaking the law....well so be it. Action = consequence.

But the only time I ever got pulled over on my quad was because the officers thought I was someone else whom they were looking for. Ironically, the guy they were looking for ran from them and they could not catch him. I, on the hand, stopped for them. You would think that anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size might be able to figure out that if I were the guy that ran from them earlier I sure as h*ll wouldn't be politely pulling over for them. Check out my previous post "Cop with bad attitude".

What did I do wrong? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! However, I was treated like **** by one little man with a big badge. I'm not a criminal, I'm an ATV enthusiast. I hate criminals and I hate cops with bad attitudes. I know cops have a tough job but they elected to do it.....don't take it out on me. I do not hate good cops and I give them due respect for what they do. BTW, I'm a professional with a 6-figure income and I donate to about every worthy charity there is....including the Police. After my experience with the little man with a big attitude I will not be donating to the Police again.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:42 PM
pid
Trailblazer

maybe a reason those cops with bad attitudes towards atvs get it from having to chase riders who won't pollitely stop. Maybe they consider them part of the people who ruin it for the rest

Old 11-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

WELL SAID FIXITMATT!!! they could f-off, i have run and got away. they treat as if we broke the law real bad, its not fun here in jersey.

---------------------
2003 z400

Old 11-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

well said pid and sumpter1, action = concequence. I ride mine up and down the road once in awhile myself, but I know that it is not legal and if I get caught and ticketed I have only one person to blame and that is myself.

I was stopped one day this summer while riding my quad with my girlfriend on the back, it was a county sherriff and I can't even begin to say how cool he was. I was out riding on a 1-up ATV with 2 people, not registered (only used it for work primarily) and riding on a paved road and all he said was that he doesn't care that I'm out there but the DNR is and if they catch you they'll get you fined... simply put I said "no problem I'll go back home". Can't get any better than that. It sucks as far as the scooters and what not getting away with things, and not to mention people and their slow golf carts that can't keep up with the flow of traffic. But you can check out making a quad legal. As far as I know if your vehicle is fast enough to stay with the flow of traffic you can get it registered for road use, mind you though, you have to have proper turn signals and headlights. I assume mirrors too. But I'm sure it's a hassle to get done through the DMV.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

BuddyP,
sounds like you had one very cool cop there....consider yourself lucky.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

As I have said many times before on this forum, officers of the law have a tough job but they also have a responsibility to the public whom they are suppose to be serving and protecting. I hope you don't have a negative experience as I did with an absolutely terrible, angry little man of a cop as I described in one of my posts....it really puts a bad taste in your mouth. I respect "most" officers of the law and the law itself, though I don't always agree.

As for making your quad legal, kudos to you if you can do it. I live Southern California and there is no way no how they will let anyone make a quad street legal. Politicians and enviros don't like us as it is so they would never give us that privilege. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Got busted riding my quad!!