Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hub fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hub fluid

bigbadscrambler.. I finally changed my hub fluid today. I'm affraid my right front hub had leaked at some point because it was almost dry. Hopefully this didn't damage anything. How critical is the hub fluid? Before I changed it I noticed with awd switched on it would pull to one side. After changing the fluid it seems to work much better. I also recieved the HPD airbox kit in the mail today. Hopefully I will be able to install it tomorrow evening, just in time to race this prairie 650 on Sat.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default hub fluid

The hub fluid is very important. It is the only thing that lubes the bearings. That would cause that wheel not to engage when switched to AWD as well. Keep an eye on the rim to see if you have any fluid leaking onto it. If you have fluid on the inside of the rim them your rear seal is bad. It will require the removal of the hub to replace. It is a failly easy thing to do though. You also have the 0-ring seal on the cap that should be replaced as well. If you run into any problems or questions with the air box mod let me know. I will do what I can to help. I will be at home after 5:30 pm

Old 11-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default hub fluid

Well, u didnt address this to me, but here goes........The hub fluid is VERY important. Any slight changes in volume or in how clean it is will change that particular hub. I learned the hard way. I believe in "Power UP" and had put some in my hubs. One of them didnt work because of it. Went back to straight hub fluid and it worked again. Sorry if I put my nose in where it didnt belong.

LOL....Scrambler, you answered this as I was typing my reply......thats why there are similar statements!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2003, 11:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default hub fluid

Beat you by this ------------- much[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default hub fluid

LOL...........

Old 11-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default hub fluid

Hub Fluid is very important a lot of people think that because it is nothing more than a thin lubricant that if low nothing will suffer. But on the other hand where it is so thin it carries heat away faster than does a heavier fluid. If you AWD is engaging while the switch is off you have an armature plate that the paint has worn off causing it to magnetize and engaging your hub. This is a simple change takes about 15 minutes to do - just ensure you get the three line up points into their proper position. When you take the front hub apart just take it slow and easy and you will see how simple it is to change the armature plate. Go to partsland and look at a blowup of the front hub to get an idea of what I am talking about. To torque the front hub roll the hub and continue to tighten the preload on the bearings and once you stop making gains loosen about and 1/8 turn then retorque to (I forgot) but it is inch pounds and not foot pounds something like 150 inch pounds. I just take and hold the ratchet in the palm of my hand and turn it till it stops and put the cotter key in it.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Range Rover
Default hub fluid

Thanks for all the helpfull info guy's!! Hopefully all is well with the hubs, I'm planning to ride a good bit on Sat.