Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

disconnecting oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disconnecting oil pump?

Polaris boy, frist off I'm certified for 7 years now and have been working on atvs since i was 10. so lets not get into a pissing match.
it is to each his own. lets leave it to that
There is many things tat can go wrong with te injector tha is why I pre-mix.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Range Rover

I just stated my experience so you would realize that I do know what I am talking about I am in no way comparing my experience to you. Yes there are a number of problems that "can" happen to or with the oil pump. A properly cared for machine has very little chance of developing these problems though. You have a better chance of throwing a crank or cracking a piston skirt or the infamous lean burn down then you do of having oil injector problems with most engines 85 and up. The odds are heavily in favor of the typical owner that he will never have a problem with his injector therefore not making the hassle of mixing the gas and caring oil with you worth it. I understand if you race, hill climb or just putt around. If you are going on a day trip or a backpack trip, caring oil not only takes much needed room but it also causes a dilemma trying to mix it properly in the tank. I have seen guys take and lift a sled up by the tail and swish the gas around as much as possible and have seen guys stand on the quads and jump up and down and rock the machine back and forth trying to mix the gas. Not to mention trying to "eyeball" the right amount of oil. For as few problems as the injector has its not worth the extra work and trials that go with it.

I agree with you the Bel-Ray is a great oil pretty clean burning to. I use Amsoil cause of my exhaust valves, but I liked the Bel Ray when I used it. Jay

Old 12-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, here, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

If the quad you bought has the oil pump by-passed, and mixing gas & oil doesn't bother you, I would personally go with the pre-mix. Chances are, even if the oil injector worked when last used, it will need some repairs, especially if run dry. If you do this, keep in mind that you will have to bring premix with you on an extended trail ride. The main reasons for leaving it as-is would be the expense of fixing it up. The main reason to buy a used quad is to save a few bucks, and this isn't something you have to do, at least not right away. For all you know, you could spend the money to fix this, and then find something else wrong. After the machine proves itself a good machine, you could always fix it later.

That said, if you have a machine with a working injector pump, I would see no reason to by-pass it, UNLESS you are modding the engine (an engine with big mods will run quite a bit more fuel through it, meaning it will need more oil than the injector will pump in).

The Polaris 400cc 2 cycle engine 'cause of death' that I hear of most often are:

Cracked stock piston (happens when enough wear occurs for the piston to get loose in the bore)

Plugged/torn/missing (yes, MISSING) air filter. mostly self-explanatory, but why someone takes the filter out because it is so plugged the engine doesnt' run right, and then still drive it without replacing it is beyond me.

Dry/rust pitted bearings - not all that uncommon up North, where the machine may sit 3 or 4 months without being run, and with improper storage

Someone being 'helpful' and putting straight gas in a machine that had the injector pump by-passed

Injector pump failure.

Yup, I actually have seen/heard of more engine damage due to someone dumping straight gas into a machine that should have premix in it, than pump failure. Usually it is a well-meaning person who didn't know better, or someone who just got the quad used, and wasn't informed of this. If only you refuel the quad, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you loan it to a buddy, be SURE they know this.

Farmr

Old 12-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Range Rover

fixitmat, You are the one who started it.
Polarisboy2, very mature comments and responses-thank you-I appreciate your insight and ideas.

Just so that "pissing matches" do not happen on threads/subjects why don't you email and pm each other so that the topic at hand continues flowing. That is to say, opinions cannont differ, that is to say if you disagree w/someone, don't make it a personal attack.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

mabell,
Just realized this subject was started by you. Is your question in reference to the 400 Scrambler you recently bought? How are things going w/this bike?

Old 12-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

THE story is over and I was never mad a anyone .
evryone has there own idea of what they should do with there quad Sorry if anyone thinks i was pissed.
IT's OVER. one more thing I didN't start the thred on this .

Old 12-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

THE OIL PUMP WENT ON MY FRIENDS 95 SPORTSMAN 400. IT ONLY HAD 800 MILES ON IT. THAT QUAD HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. ONE AFTER ANOTHER.

Old 12-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

Geez chill guy. Didn't say ya did?! What I said is above, started by mabell1. Wow, lots of testorone pumpin' in this thread!

Old 12-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

luvit, i decided to take it in to the polaris dealer in winchester,va. they gave me an estimate of $300 to rebuild the topend if that is all that is wrong with it. which is $200 less than twigg cycles in hagerstown, md. so i will take it to them this coming weekend and let them go over the whole quad. The oil pump is unhooked right now so i was trying to get some opinions on whether i should have the dealer fix it (if broken) and hook it back up. thanks everyone for your input!

Old 12-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

Good. I hope they can get you taken care of![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: disconnecting oil pump?