Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

For those of you that have owned a Sportsman and a Grizzly...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you that have owned a Sportsman and a Grizzly...

If any of you have owned these machines at one time or another, how does the 4-wheel drive systems compare with their engagement- specifically, did you find the "auto engagement" of the polaris to be more convienient than stopping and engaging the diff lock on the grizzly? I think both machines are awesome and am planning on buying one in the VERY near future. I just wondered if the constant switching to diff lock 4WD on the grizzly when you're riding all day starts to become a pain in the A$$. (I ride with some polarises and wonder if I'm going to be sitting at a standstill in front of every mudhole while I wait for the 4WD to engage, while the polarises just barrel through). Thanks....

Old 12-30-2003, 01:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The 4wd on the Polaris machines engages so quick that you dont even notice it. It is a very smooth and seamless engagement. Not only that, but it will still let you turn with ease with it in 4wd.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

The Polaris can be shifted 'on the fly' and engages (for all practical purposes) instantly. Have a friend with a Grizzly, and I can honestly say that I prefer the Polaris 4wd system.
The Grizzly does have one advantage, and that is 4-wheel engine braking. The Polaris 4wd system dis-engages the front wheels when power is not needed, so the front wheels are allowed to free-wheel upon de-acceleration. Not a big deal once you get used to it, but something you should be aware of. For general trail riding, you will never miss the 4-wheel engine braking, but mountains or extreme downhills, you will. Going down steep hills, you can just idle the Grizzly in low, but the Polaris will probably need application of the hand brake to get the front wheels to help slow you down.

Farmr

Old 12-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Farmr123, Thanks for the info. I appreciate the non-bias, no BS reply.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

BigBadScrambler, thanx for your help too!

Old 12-31-2003, 03:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Anytime.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

if you are going to upgrade to big, heavy mud tires, tackle big mud holes, and wanna 'swim' through deep water, i'd go with the Sportsman. look at the 2 ATVs from the rear- SP has big axles, heavy duty everything. read this Forum, you will NEVER read a post from an SP owned complaining about the quads strength to spin big mud tires, water worthyness, and mudding abilities.

ride BOTH and see what better suits your STYLE!

a winch is essential. if you want that Polaris you had better buy it TODAY concidering the $49 Warn2500lb with mini-remote special ends TODAY!(12-31)

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

P.S. Happy New Year!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

I ride a Sportsman 600, and my friend has a Grizzly 660. I like mine way better than the Grizzly. Other than his being a knat's a$$ faster than mine in a drag, his can't touch mine anywhere else. I can out pull him, out drag him, and out mud him like crazy. Besides, mine is quieter at idle and and speed. As far as ride goes, they are similar, but the Polaris feels more comfortable and stable. If you look at them both from the rear (parked beside each other), you'll see the BIG difference in track width (stability) and beefier components. I hate the way his shifter feels, it's a pain in the a$$ to get it in gear, very notchy and you have to move the shifter like your drawing a bunch of 3's. The Sportsman's is straight forward and backward, in a row. But drive both, most people that do pick the Sportsman. Let your bottom decide.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

remember the grizz feels really tippy, putting on bigger tires isnt gonna help the stability