Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking for info on belt drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on belt drive

Looking to purchasea new ATV . Has anyone had any bad points with the polaris belt drive. Sure they will work good when they are new but what about a couple years down the road. I worry about the belt getting wet and slipping . I will be riding deep in the terrain by myself and can't afford to be stranded. The sales man tells me that the belt will not get wet but the new mod to the ATVs are a belt drain. So some one get back to me please as time is running out as I will be purchasing one soon. Thanks

Old 12-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the belt gets wet it will slip. The thing to do is get the water out if you get it wet. My buddy rode his scrambler off in a lake and filled the belt housing with water. He simply revved the motor up for a couple of minutes and rode off. They will dry out and continue on as long as you don't slip them and smoke the belt. I have had all my bikes in deep water headlight deep on my xplorer and have never been stuck or stranded.

Old 12-31-2003, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

With all the bikes u've own. What was the best.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The big question is what kind of riding will you do? We ride a lot of mountain and trails and a 2x4 works fine for us. I personally like the 2-strokes, but the 4-strokes are a little more user and rider friendly.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

It is my understanding that Polaris installed a drain plug because they raised the transmission vent and no longer had enough air velocity to eject the water. Personally I like the idea, too bad mine doesn't have one. I was attempting to cross a slough when my 01 Sportsman drowned out. The water level was high enough that both front and rear racks were just under water. After a tug from my buddy we got it back to shore drained the water from the exhaust and engine and fired it up. The transmission took about 5 mins or so to dry out and off we went looking for more challenges.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

I prefer the automatic tranny over a clutch no matter where I ride. I have been to the sands in Glamis , throughout the mountain trails of Colarado and in the swamps at the river and will never have a clutch bike again.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:34 AM
Range Rover

Personally I like the idea, too bad mine doesn't have one
You can change to the newer style. I had a clutch problem and replaced both the inner and outer covers when I replaced the clutch and bought the newer style. The newer style also have more screws going to the outer cover that makes it more water tight. I haven't had a drop of water in mine since I changed and I have been thru some deep water. Now that I have the drain plug.......I don't need it. Go figure.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think the main point of the drain is if you do fill the PVT with water you don't have to wait for the motor and clutches to pump out all the water. It will dry out much faster that way. I've been in some deep stuff and have never had to use the drain or have my belt slip.

Old 12-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

My belt only slipped once i was going fast trying to cross a dam and water got in to the clutch box thats the only time it slipped and i also go through some heavy stuff and it never slipped though that....