Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cold Temp. Starting Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Temp. Starting Tips

Ether or starting fluid is not what it used to be, it now has lubes in it to protect the cylinder and rings. You could try lighter oil although I don't think there is anything lighter than 0w40 if you are running OEM. I myself would not use starting fluid, I would try taking the battery out and keeping it warm at home then bring it to the camp and installing it.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Highwayman's right. Ether, especially the non-lube kind, is like crack cocaine to an engine: once you use it, it seems to become addicted to it. Had a neighbor who used to start is diesel tractor with it in the winter, and in a short time, it wouldn't even start on an 80-degree day without a shot. The new stuff uses heptane with an upper lube to keep the cylinder walls from scoring, but I would use it only as a last resort, and very sparingly.

I've found that cold weather starting problems are generally related to poor gas in the carb. I made the mistake of using regular in my '00 SP500, and if it wasn't started for a few weeks in even cool weather, it wouldn't start until I drained the gas from the carb bowl. It then will start easily. The best thing is to buy premium gas, and good quality gas; I haven't had a problem since.

Old 01-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

I carry a small torch with me and remove the plug and heat the jug up, works like a charm, also good way to start a fire when you get cold. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Hello I store my bike out at my camp in Northern Ontario and sometimes do not start it for 3 weeks or so, at times it will fire up quickly but if the temp is down to -20 deg. celcius I have a hard time,.
Please check the Polaris shop manual for the choke adjustment and follow the recommendations religously without deviation. A properly adjusted choke in combination with a fully charged battery (a properly adjusted choke with a dead battery is no problem as the machine will start within four pulls.), will start the machine every time.

You are in a great position, check your owners manual, and follow the choke adjustments to the letter. If you do, you will have a great starting machine regardless of temperature. Remember the factory is in Roseau (Frostbite Falls) and the factory engineers live there.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: watzupdog
Just be happy for the COLD weather. It's almost midnight here and it's still 76 degrees.
yeah well it is 7:50 here and it is -10 degrees f out...and cant go ridding because there is TOO much snow...wanna trade houses?

and as far as starting in the cold try and take your battery out each time that way it doesnt lose its charge. We have never had a real problem with starting either the trailblazer or magnum in weather that is about 0 degrees (like -15 in c I think) if we dont get it started by the starter we use the pull start...takes a couple of pulls but WILL start and let it warm up and off we go

Old 02-22-2004, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

as far as starting in the cold; try and take your battery out each time, that way it doesn't lose its charge.
???

You are kidding him aren't you? So.... after taking out the battery--- what does one do with it?

Battery tenders are so inexpensive, why would anybody want to remove their batteries all the time?

Besides, it is warmer in Winona than the Twin Cities and the quads up here start all of the time. LOL

Old 02-22-2004, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

When it gets real cold here I just pull the choke out all the way and pull start it. Usually starts on the 3rd pull.