Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

speedometer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer trouble

I took a look at a wiring diagram and it says the Brown/White wire goes to the AWD. I will try jumping that one first. I would like to get it rigged up so that the AWD is no longer dependent on the speedo for anything. I wonder if the AWD need any sort of speed reading off the speedo to function or does it get its speed reading from the right front wheel.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

The speed reading comes from the right front wheel, but I think there is something that disallows the awd (when the awd is working properly) to engage at high rpms. I think it's high rpms and not high speed, but like I said, it's been a while since I have to do any work on one.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

just replaced speedo on my 02 700 @ $209.37
real reasonable and saves the hassel of diggin thru wireing.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well had a problem on the weekend crossing a river. A little to deep and the current a little to strong. A buddy got a rope to me before it was swept into deeper water so I waded to shore in waist deep water. It took a while to get everything dried out and running again but once we did I was bound and determined to get that F________g AWD working if it as th last thing I did that day. We continued on our way along the trail to find an altenate crossing and we came accross an old 60 Merc pickup that had been broken down and left there. I robbed a couple of wires from under the dash of the old Merc and proceeded to rewire the quad to bypass the speedo. I uplugged the small white plug that came out of the speedo pod. This has a grey wire and a brown white wire that goes down to the from diff where the Hillard System is. This should remove the speedo from the AWD compeltely. I then cut the plug off and wired the Brown/White wire to the frame of the bike. I found a Red/White wire from the wiring harness and tapped into that to provide power to the grey wire for the AWD. This provided me with AWD with out going through the speedo. This was a temporary fix for the day until I can get it back to my shop and do some more testing on it to see if I have any lost functions. If everything works fine I will redo all the connections and seal it up.