Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PREDATOR CARB BOWL-- SCREWS STUCK ON

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PREDATOR CARB BOWL-- SCREWS STUCK ON

I need some help, i went to take the screws that hold the bowl into the carb to change the jet and all 4 bolts are on there so damn tight they stripped out immed. i tried vice grips-pliers-everything//// please if someone knows how and why they are on so tight i would greatley apprecite the help on how to get them out.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

your prolly gonna need to take it all the way off.. and throw it in a vise.. try to pound a screwdriver into it and get it out that way... replace them with allen head screws when your done...

Old 01-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

I was going to do that but i cant figure out how to take apart the throttle cable from the carb...

Old 01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

It is not that bad just pull the cover off, take all of the slack out of the cable then work it around. What I found that works pretty good for getting the screws out is taking a pair diag cutters put one jaw in where the screw driver goes and the other on the outside squeaze hard and turn. But like hozed said definatly put some allen head screws in there when you are done. I think I paid like 3 dollars for enough to do my Predator and my buddies Raptor (2 carbs) 3 total. It will save you alot of time in the future.

Old 01-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks IBLAME THE DOG

Old 01-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

A little dremal tool with a cutter will work than you can use a big straight screw driver to turn them out.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

thanks pleasure for qt i will try that

Old 01-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Sears recently came out with a nifty tool that looks like a screwdriver and it "bites" into the damaged screw head to where you can back it out. Runs you about $19. Its called the Craftsman 3 pc. Screw-Out Damaged Screw Remover Set
Sears item #00952154000
Craftsman 3 pc. Screw-Out™ Damaged Screw Remover Set
You can see it at

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...=searchresults

Wow thats a long http.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Some great suggestions. I always have good luck with the standard jaw (real) Vise-grips. I know you said you tried them, but to take time to square them up good, and clamp down hard, they normally break free. When you do finally get them off, and get the allen head replacements, it's not a bad idea to use some lockwashers, and even a small amount of blue loctite. Not only helps keep them installed, but helps deter the possibility of dissimilar metal corrosion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2005, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same thing happen to me where I could not get the screws off. I was trying to rejett it for my Rath intake and WB pipe. I tried everything, dremmel tool to cut notches in the screws and vise grips and still nothing. I finally gave up and decided to send my carb to Nicholas Cycle and have him mod it for me. Hopefully, he will have better luck with it.

Quick Reply: PREDATOR CARB BOWL-- SCREWS STUCK ON