Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need More clearance on Scrambler 500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need More clearance on Scrambler 500 4x4

I got a buddy I ride with that just bought him a bad @ss 700 sportsman. He had to pull me out tonight. I need more clearance on my scrambler. What are the biggest tire/wheel sizes I can put on this Scrambler. I need brand names and where to buy. They seem very hard to find due to the fact the front tires have to be one size bigger.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Even with larger tires you're not going to get that much more clearance...but you will put more stress on the rest of the quad, not worth it IMO. I've had to pull a couple of SP500's out of mud....

If you're wanting to play in the deep mud then trade the scrammy on something with IRS.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

You could go ITP Mudlites 24x11x10 rear and a 25x8x11 front. Yes you would need new front rims, but you may want to have two sets of tires anyways.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

So are you telling me that they do NOT make a "BIG FOOT KIT" for the Scrambler. And RookWV, Although the Independent Rear Suspension is nice on the Sportsman, I wouldn't trade my Scrambler for one. I would just like to get the maximum amount of clearance that I can for my Scrambler. Also, I don't see how it would be putting more stress on the quad by adding bigger tires/wheels. Can you please explain that to me? Maybe adding a little more weight, is that what you are talking about?

Old 01-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

The larger the tire the more effort it requires to move that tire, thus causing more stress to all dirve axels, U-joints, chain, and also sprockets. Although I don't see any problem puting 25 inch tires on because the explorer has them and it is made up of the same parts as a scrammy. You will only gain just over and inch more of clearance by adding this tires and probally will need new rims so you will be looking at $500. My advice is next time you come to a stuck situation is GUN IT!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Bigger tires also change the geometry of the joints causing stress, a lot of the bigger quads have problems for the same reasons. I know what you mean about IRS vs swingarm but you'll never get the same amount of clearance with a swingarm as you will with an IRS machine.

Old 01-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

I understand all your points. Good points too. I wish Scrambler would come out with a 700, fuel injected, and with independent rear suspension. Wouldn't that be Awesome? We was riding last night in about 20 degree weather, hitting every deep mudhole there was. We had a blast! That 700 Sportsman is one awesome machine. He went through a mud-pit that had the water all the way up to the top of the fenders. The pit was about 20 feet long. I was yelling at him to turn around around about 1/4 of the way through. He made it but the motor coughed a little right as it pulled out. I couldn't believe it. I have never been crazy about the sportsman because of the weight and utility look, but man it sure earned my respect in the mud. Not to mention he had to pull me out once. We was also with a Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4. Actually, it is a 3x4. Not once, but twice he got stuck simply because he would have one front tire in the air, and guess what...that's the one that would spin. Not only that, but it seemed really dangerous in awkward positions. The mudholes we were playing in, were made by 4x4 pickups. There were plenty of ruts (in which I got high centered). But the Big Bear had the roughest time with the 3x4. It is not even close to being in the same class as Polaris.

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2021, 04:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Here is clearance for yah

Originally Posted by jtrundle
So are you telling me that they do NOT make a "BIG FOOT KIT" for the Scrambler. And RookWV, Although the Independent Rear Suspension is nice on the Sportsman, I wouldn't trade my Scrambler for one. I would just like to get the maximum amount of clearance that I can for my Scrambler. Also, I don't see how it would be putting more stress on the quad by adding bigger tires/wheels. Can you please explain that to me? Maybe adding a little more weight, is that what you are talking about?

28 inch on 12 inch rims front and back cut foot pegs short to clear back tires stock clutching sprocket etc have had zero issue no more wear n tear then normal