Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 Scrambler 4x4 Dune Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Scrambler 4x4 Dune Help Needed

Well my son and I headed out for Dumont Dunes this past weekend and to say the least he was pretty disapointed with the performance on his 500. His was the only one we saw there this weekend. He took it up Comp hill and there was only one thing slower that could make it to the top and that was my 700 Sportsman. *L*

Anyway does anyone have any ideas how to scoot this thing up the hill a bit faster? (Other than sand tires) It seems we need to get the RPMs at the rear tire up, maybe by increasing the RPM's of the engine, or clutch engagement?

While we bought the thing to do a wide variety of riding, not just duning, can you change out clutch kits pretty easy for different kinds of riding?

Thanks...

Craig

Old 01-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

As was in another thread....you're probably not going to be able to do much about the RPM's, the 500HO isn't meant to be a high revver. I'd say that sand tires will be the biggest help you could do....

Old 01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

You didn't mention if the 500 was a 4x4 or 2x4, if its a 2x4 you can change the rear sprocket for more low end and it will climb to high revs quicker, if its 4x4 theres not much you can do except the standard pipe/jetkit/clutchkit!

Old 01-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 4464
You didn't mention if the 500 was a 4x4 or 2x4, if its a 2x4 you can change the rear sprocket for more low end and it will climb to high revs quicker, if its 4x4 theres not much you can do except the standard pipe/jetkit/clutchkit!
It is a 4x4...

OK so the pipe, AF, Jet kit is going to get it to the rev limit faster, Right?

So what is the clutch kit going to do? From what I understand it makes the belts engage at a higher rpm, but if we are running top rpm, what does this mean to me besides being a bit quicker off the line? Will it help with more to the tires in the dune? Or do I need to get quad for the dune. I'm starting to beleive I'm barking up a tree stump here, and as far as going up a dune, I've hit the top of that stump. *L*

Thank you...

Craig

Old 01-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Just go out to the dunes right after it's rained real hard! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The clutch kit will get you to your top end quicker, the jetting and pipe will let the engine breathe better helping you get there quicker as well.

If you're into dunes, I'd have to go with another machine....if you ride all kinds of trails and like to play in mud, stick with the scrammy

Old 01-20-2004, 10:29 PM
EAB
Pro Rider

I really would go for some paddles for the rear. Price wise they are around 160 with rims and up, and will probably do more for the machine in the sand than the mods you mentioned. Plus you can change to your dirt tires for other riding.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Find a 400 to stroke scrambler youll have all the rpm's youll ever want...

Old 01-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, but EAB is right. Of everything I have done to mine paddles were the real ticket for the dunes. I get up stuff in 2 wheel drive that I could not make in 4x4 with paddles. You can try all the mods, but with out paddles in the dunes your just wasting money.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

If you use a Heelclicker clutch kit....you can adjust it for the application you want....about a 30 minutes change to swap springs

Old 01-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: fishslab
Sorry, but EAB is right. Of everything I have done to mine paddles were the real ticket for the dunes. I get up stuff in 2 wheel drive that I could not make in 4x4 with paddles. You can try all the mods, but with out paddles in the dunes your just wasting money.
I've got the paddles coming, ordered them the other day. It was hard finding the right rims and tires, and even harder finding them all in one place. I had to go with a set of ITP T-9 Standard rims for the rear, and a set of T-9 Pro Series for the fronts. ITP makes both front and rears for the Scrambler 500 4x4 in the T-9 standard, but I went with the pro series in the front as they are supposed to be more durable. All I know is the Polaris rims that come with the 500 4X4 are junk and bend real easy.

I also ordered a set of 22x11x10 ITP sand stars.

If I get them by friday, I'll mount them up, check them out and see what happens, and go from there. My plan is to put on the sand stars on the rear and keep the standard tires on the front and see how it does in 4 wheel drive up the hill.

I got them at Tires-n-stuff (Tiresnstuff.com) rear tire and wheel kit was 203.00 and the front rims were 49.95 each. I had to call to get the right suff and it was all in stock. The web site was a little lacking for the scrambler.

If anyone needs the part numbers by ITP they are...

T-9 Pro Series Front Rims, T154152 (Don't make rears for the Scrambler 500 4x4 in the Pro Series)
T-9 Standard Rear Rims, H184400 (Make both front and rear rims in the standard series)

Craig

Quick Reply: 04 Scrambler 4x4 Dune Help Needed