Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EBS sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBS sucks!

Why does it get so squirly while going down really steep hills? It feels like the EBS is holding the back wheels too hard. I've tried it in low and high range and it does the same thing. I've also tried giving a little gas upon slippage and feathering the hand brake (ride em' cowboy!).

Would it help if I put it in neutral and just used the handbrake?

Need some advice because my riding buddies are tired of waiting for me at the bottom hills. Although they have serious meat on their Kawi's, this is the only place I can't out perform them.

P.S. I've ridden atv's my whole life...is this just a Polaris quirk I need to get used to?

02' SP 500 H.O.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Range Rover
Default EBS sucks!

hold the override button in and force the 4 wheel drive to engage
the reason it gets squirrly is because the rear wheels are in a sense turning slower than the front
and slidding a bit,so by forcing it into 4 wheel drive all wheeels will decelerate or hold at the same rate and you shoud just putt nicely down hill

this is the reason polaris atv's have had such good brakes over the years
the other manufacturers that have always had engine braking and full time 4X4
didnt have to worry about having great brakes so they saved money and used crappy drum brakes

Old 01-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default EBS sucks!

Originally posted by: mde8639
Why does it get so squirly while going down really steep hills? It feels like the EBS is holding the back wheels too hard. I've tried it in low and high range and it does the same thing. I've also tried giving a little gas upon slippage and feathering the hand brake (ride em' cowboy!).

Would it help if I put it in neutral and just used the handbrake?

Need some advice because my riding buddies are tired of waiting for me at the bottom hills. Although they have serious meat on their Kawi's, this is the only place I can't out perform them.

P.S. I've ridden atv's my whole life...is this just a Polaris quirk I need to get used to?

02' SP 500 H.O.
I just had mine out for the 1st time at the dunes, and noticed the same thing. I just gave it a little throttle, just enough to release the ebs, and if I needed more brake I backed off and let the ebs do it's thing. It can be real bad in low, but the same applies.

Craig

Old 01-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default EBS sucks!

Originally posted by: baxy
hold the override button in and force the 4 wheel drive to engage
the reason it gets squirrly is because the rear wheels are in a sense turning slower than the front
and slidding a bit,so by forcing it into 4 wheel drive all wheeels will decelerate or hold at the same rate and you shoud just putt nicely down hill

this is the reason polaris atv's have had such good brakes over the years
the other manufacturers that have always had engine braking and full time 4X4
didnt have to worry about having great brakes so they saved money and used crappy drum brakes

Does that work? I thought the over ride switch only worked in reverse? You can force it in 4x4 in forward by using the over ride switch?

Craig

Old 01-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Range Rover
Default EBS sucks!

you will have to try it I'm pretty sure my xplorer locks into 4x4 when I push the override

Old 01-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default EBS sucks!

No... holding the override button wont get the 4wd to work.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Range Rover
Default EBS sucks!

I see that after I replied I went and found the old wiring diagram and it wont
I would suggest a toggle switch to manually engage hubs for easy downhill cruising

Old 01-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default EBS sucks!

The override only allows engagement of 4 wheels upon slippage in reverse. I bypassed the override and 4 wheel engagement is not altered while going forward. I've read on other forums here that the 4 wheel engagement is mechanical and would be nearly impossible to rig a way to engage them manually.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Range Rover
Default EBS sucks!

the electrical coil in the hubs must do something?!?!?

Old 01-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default EBS sucks!

You can engage the hubs, but the front drive shaft will not be recieving power from the tranny unless the back tire out spins the fronts. Now here is what I've been thinking. I can't test it because I don't have EBS. Any of you guys with the big foot kits that still have your stock rears could do my test for me. Put The stock rears on, as long as they are smaller than the ones in the big foot kit. Or if anyone has smaller than stock rears. The idea is to change the ratio. The only drawback now, if it works, is the quad will be in 4x4 any time the AWD switch is engaged. Not sure if that is any better than 2 wheeled EBS, but it's worth looking into. So, who's gonna do it and let us know if it works?

Quick Reply: EBS sucks!