Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

who does the best boring for a 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who does the best boring for a 400

well it turns out the badazz400 aint as bad as i said she was. she took a turn for the worse and i do believe she **** da bed. so therefore im gonna need a bore. i got hpd to do it the last time and not that hpds bad at all but she blew up after 4 months. so im gonna go wit someone else. who do you guys recommend? i hear alot of talk about bubb, how do you guys like him

thanks for da help

badazz400

Old 01-27-2004, 05:22 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I don't think you need to look for someone else to do a bore job.It didn't go south because of the bore job.It all depends on how you get it tuned and keeping an eye on the color of the plug.What exactly happened.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

well ced its like this, i did a plug check like you said. my plug was the right color. 2 days later i went riding. while riding down the road she bogged out and just quit on me. i havent had time to taker apart yet. i really dont know if she is blown up. but i do know she doesnt run. she was making a god awful noise right before she did this. i thought it was my fan or a piece of ice hitting the radaitor. being i was just a couple of miles away from home i figured i could get her there. big mistake!! i guess im just expecting da worse

thanks

badazz400

Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

well ced i took the carb and reed off last nite. it seems if though she sucked up mud and water through the reed cuz my air filter is clean as a whistle. my reed had mud caked inbetween the gaskets. 2nite ill b popping da head off, and removing the jug just 2 c wats going on n there. i truly believe she broke a ring. ill know more 2nite. when i pull the starter cord she has absolutely no compression. stay tuned!

any advice would b greatly appreciated

thanks

ross

Old 01-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

As far as I know, Bubba doesn't do boring, just porting. As far as boring, there should be no need to send it to HPD or anywhere else for that matter. Just look under the yellow pages for machine shops. Any local machine shop will be able to bore and hone the cylinder as good as any place you would ship it to.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:09 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Make sure you check the intake manifold for cracks,it had to suck it from somewhere.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

well besides the fact that my 400 sucked up mud she also lost antifreeze. on the top of the head i have a brass elbow that connects my temp guage to the motor. well im takin her apart and i look in the radiator. no antifreeze. so i begin taking the head apart from the jug. i take the brass elbow off of the jug when i happend to notice that the elbow is very loose. appearently all the antifreeze leaked out of the loose elboew. so anyway i figured out the reason for the loss of antifreeze and the main reason for her quitting. now heres my question. my head gasket is bad, but the head, jug, rings, and piston still look fine. if i replace the head gasket, do a compression test will my atv still run efficient as it did? is this a good idea, or should i just go head and get it bored and get a new piston/rings? like i said before everything looks ok except for the upper head gasket. another question, what is the compression ratio for a trail mod, 20 over, bored head?

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

ross

Old 01-29-2004, 11:49 AM
CED
Pro Rider

Well you should get the head checked ,just to make sure that isn't warped.Other than that tighten up your fittings ,don't forget to put some teflon on the threads.Get yourself a new head gasket and you should be good to go.I'm not sure on the trail mod compression,probably around 140.Mybe some one will help out with that one.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Right on Ced the compression is in the 140-145 range for the trail mod.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

To elaborate a bit on CED's comment, taking a good long morning to really test and tune (dial-in) your ride will pay huge dividends in performance and reliability. Since 99, I've tortured my HPD mods, the only reason the motor comes down, is when I freshen it up. Don't rush things, periodic engine inspections (heck full quad for that matter) will keep things screamin' strong. With what we put these maching through, if you neglect them......they will bite you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: who does the best boring for a 400