Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

counter balance bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default counter balance bearings

i am changing my water pump seals and wanted to know how difficult is it to change the counterbalance bearings. can i do it just by taking the water pump side casing off or do i have to remove the other side as well? I think i am getting antifreeze and/or oil in my crankcase. someone on here told me it may be coming from a bad bearing/seal on the counter balance. I do own a manual but any help would be appreciated. thanks

Old 01-30-2004, 12:55 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Every time i have taken my counterbalancer out was when the motor was completely off the bike.They make a special puller to take the balancer out ,but i just heated mine like the manual say's and it came right out,of course i had the other side housing of as well.I don't think there is any way for it to get thru from the counter balacer.It would have to come from the main crank seal,right under the gear on the crankshaft.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

ok, thanks

Old 01-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

First thing to do before trying to work on the balance shaft is to determine if your crankshaft bearings are good - this is usually the cause of a defective seal that lets oil/antifreeze into the crankcase - (bad water pump seals lets antifreeze into the oil sump) - remember when checking for play in the bearings that the engine is mounted with rubber isolators that will allow the whole engine to move and create a false looseness effect. Bad crankshaft bearings means the engine has to come out of the frame. Also check the crankshaft bearing in the sump case that you removed to access the waterpump.

If the crankshaft bearings are good, then the balance shaft can come out without removing the engine - its just a little tight on the working area. The oil pump will have to be removed, and like CED was talking about- the case heated up in the right area, then the balance shaft will pretty much come out in your hands - you will have to remove/"get-out-of-the-way" anything that the heat will distroy (ie oil lines, any plastic stuff, wires, etc). An easier way to work on it in the frame is to remove the battery, stand the bike up on end and remove the front wheels so you are working standing up, instead of laying underneath trying to reach some of the stuff.

There was a post a few months ago saying the big bearing on the balance shaft (the one that polaris only sells with a complete shaft assembly- about $400) can be pressed off the shaft with the gear after marking references on the shaft and gear for correct re-assembly. The bearing is a NTN 1 6006C3 and supposedly available from local automotive parts houses or bearing suppliers. The inner bearing on the balance shaft is probably available local also.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

i am going to be trying this soon myself but today i pulled the plug on the bottom of the crankcase and nothing came out would this mean that my bearing and inner seals are in good shape i know i have to look but i am wanting to have a positive attitude untill i get time to open it up...

Old 01-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

I redid my bearings and got both of them from a local bearing supply store. Only problen I had was the inner bearing stayed inside the engine housing and I had to get a puller to get it out. No real big deal, just time conusming. All will come out of the right side of the engine, but like was said, it is tight with the engine still in the frame. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Man! thats what I like about Polaris. Standard fasteners, and bearings you can get at your LOCAL automotive shop. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]