Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need input from polaris owners, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input from polaris owners, please

rsking45
Your problem in the snow might not be your sportsmans fault. It might just be you. <u>Sometimes</u> I get through more snow then my brother on my trail boss 2x4 my brother has a articcat 500 4x4 with 27" mudlites. I am not saying your a bad rider, it might be the bike.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty much everything bad that you hear about Polaris are old issues. Yes they had overheating problems and other problems but within tha past 5-6 yrs they have stepped up on the product. Polaris has the most sales of utility quads in the world. They did not get there from selling junk. I like other brands but I really dont think there is a better ride out there than a Polaris. They are very dependable and tough to beat. The 500 ho is practicly indistructable. Along with the 400,600 and now the 700.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

So far, I've hammered my Sportsman 500, and it keeps coming back for more. It has already towed several other "more dependable" quads back to the staging area. It's excellent in the snow, and when the trail gets nasty and rocky, it's less tippy and more stable than my Prairie 700. The ride comfort is second to none, thanks to the independent rear suspension. In fact, I would never buy another utility quad without IRS.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive had my sp 600 for a month and rode it for 1 weekend now. for some reason it wont idle for anything. there is some problem with the carb that they cant seem to find. ive also had a 98 sp 335 and beat the snot out of it and it came back for more. my personal opinion would probably go with the 500 ho

Old 02-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey SONICBLUE. Just so you know Polaris has some recalls with your 600. 1 of them is a problem with the carb. If your dealer does not know this then I think you need to find a new one. It deals with drilling and installing new jets. Also a crank case tube that needs to be relocated or it can cause engine failure if it gets clogged with snow or mud. This may cure your problem.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

My grandpa has a 500 its great

Old 02-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

Hey vbar its all about who you take care of your bike. If you treat it right it will treat you right. I am a Yamaha man and a buddy of mine bought a 2000 trail boss and i bought a 2000 wolverine his bike went everywhere mine did and his was a 2X4 also to this day he has changed his oil 1 time in four years. My yamaha which i just traded in was smoking bad. Over the past 4 years his bike has done nothig but impress me so went out and bought me a Polaris (in fact i bought 2 of them) and there just as great as i thought they would be. Now dont go and not change your oil like him i just cant beleave his bike even still works and if it wasnet for bad luck he wouldnt have any at all. I cant really tell you how mine are going to hold up i havent had them long enough but im gald i bought them.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

im really thinking that i need to get a new dealer. 2manytoys, is that published anywhere?? id like to print it off and go back to my dealership and tear them a new one for not telling me of the recall. and 2manytoys, thanks for that info.....

Old 02-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of the input. I was hoping that by now all of the atv's would be mostly reliable if you took good care of them. I just got rid of my yamaha '84 225 3 wheeler & it ran fine for gosh sakes. It just seemed that there were a lot of different people out there who were disappointed with their sportsmans due to mechanical failures, but at the same time, some were perfectly happy.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

rsking

I am running the stock tires on it. I do believe that they changed the model of tire either on the 04 or the 04.5. Maybe someone else on the forum can answer that ?. But the tires on mine are the ones that came with the machine.

Quick Reply: Need input from polaris owners, please