Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn 3.0ci install on Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004 | 09:46 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Warn 3.0ci install on Polaris

I'm picking up a new 500HO this Saturday. I'm going without the winch offer and taking a rebate because the Ute is so cheap. I figured I'd just buy a winch on ebay and do the install now that I have seen it done on my 400 Sportsman. The 3.0ci is a sweet set up being that it has a remote that comes with it. Does anyone onboard here have one installed on an '04.5 500HO or even a 400 as they are one in the same. It looks bulkier than a 2.5ci and before I buy it, I want to make sure it fits in the designated spot on the Polaris. Thanks in advance!

~TD

Old 02-27-2004 | 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i can't remember if the 700 front end is the same as the 500.

but if it is, the 3.0ci fits just fine. looks perfect.

i didn't have the dealer install the corded remote. i didn't like the looks of the hand-held remote, too sloppy with the cord and all. plus it is a hassle to twist on and off. i opted for just the mini-remote mounted to the handlebar.

haven't used the winch yet, no mud, ground is still too frozen! LOL

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2004 | 01:04 AM
|
Pro Rider

I believe the mounting is the same on the 700 as is the 600 and the 400 for that fact, so if you have had success with it then I think I'm good to go unless someones provides different information. As for the remote, I would much rather rely on the thumbswitch mounted on the bars but I like the idea of having the remote capability. I can think of many reasons why that is a good thing. Something about being in direct line and face first with a cable under heavy tension gives me the heeby jeebies. Another good reason for using that new Plasma Rope!

Old 02-27-2004 | 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Treedoc, I always put a couple of towels or coats on the winch cable. I had a tree strap break one time and another time my rope snapped and the cable just fell to the ground rather then flying back, it was pretty wild thinking that here it comes but it just went limp. I do not know anything about the plasma rope, does it do the same thing as putting a coat on the cable? Is the 3.0 winch a 3000 lb capacity winch?AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-27-2004 | 08:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

good job AlaskaBoy, i see you read your owner's manual!
(jacket over the cable for safety idea)
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2004 | 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

If you buy a winch other than the one polaris will supply you with, you will need to get a polaris mounting bracket for the winch which is an extra cost.
i got a 04.5 500 ho with the free winch but my winch is the 2.5
very easy install, but watch your power cables as mine were not quite long enough (they fit but there streached) make sure they are not going to chafe on the frame or you could have a melt down!
take half inch heater hose ( for a automobile) and wrap it around the cables where you think they my chafe. the 700, 600, 500 and the 400 all mount the same, all you haft to do is remove the front rack and the front cover under the rack to install.
my 2.5 warn is more than enough for my quad and you can also get a remote for it for about $45 extra.

Old 02-27-2004 | 11:15 PM
|
Pro Rider

I agree WRENCNNUTZ, a 2.5ci is enough but I was unaware that Warn plumbed them for a remote plug and controller. I guess I'll have to do a little more homework and see if I can find one in that configuration rather than buying the separate parts, I'm sure it would save me a few bucks. As for the Polaris mount, I was aware that would be the case though there are a few that are offered with the Polaris Mount. The mount system makes for a clean install as I have studied the one on my 400 seeing that I became intimately involved with it and the surrounding areas after my dealer's "professional" winch installer forgot to tighten 50% of the bolts that he removed to install it!

AlaskaBoy,
Yeah, I use the jacket trick too whenever I'm skidding logs or brush or pulling trees with the winches on my work trucks. They actually make a heavy, bright red PVC weighted blanket for just that purpose I see. As for the Plasma Rope, I saw a discussion on it I think in here not long ago. It's pretty interesting stuff. 1/4" size is like a pound and a half per 100 feet and it has somewhere around 9000lbs tensile strength. It's stronger than the cable on our winches of equivalent size yet it looks like Waterski Rope. It does have abrasion resistance but will abrade in certain conditions. No fraying though so you could actually work with it without gloves. It stores no energy like typical synthetics because it has no elongation when loaded so if it snaps due to overloading, it just falls to the ground. It's pretty cool but it's pretty expensive....like around $85 per 100 ft. for 1/4". I was looking at some specs on it and saw a hank of this stuff in 3.5" diameter has like one million three hundred thousand pounds tensile strength.

Shoot! I could tow my own personal aircraft carrier around with that!!