Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

DMC Alien or Yoshimura for Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMC Alien or Yoshimura for Predator?

GNCC Texas stop, multiple pro teams were sent into a panic when they found their exhaust sytems tested beyond the allowed DB. They now have to approach their sponsors to give them a different exhaust to keep them legal. Average Joe heads out to the local dunes or trails, gets stopped by the local ranger, and is found to be too loud. Ranger issues a citation, or if he/she is lucky, a warning. Average Joe is now faced with having to call up his/her sponsor to give.........needle scratches across the record.........correction, he/she now has to buy another exhaust system to be able to ride. Sound regs which everyone has laughed at are now being enforced even at races.

Right now, the Pure Polaris/WB and HPD are the two which will give you gains in flow, and keep the sound legal. With all the testing Polaris sponsored racer Daryl Rath does, why do you suppose the WB system is still being used even on his 440 dyno runs. There isn't much room for gains w/ this motor, above the stock system, but don't you think with all the dyno time Rath has invested, there's a reason for the exhaust that's on his machine. Use your brains, don't get caught up in someone's hype. I've seen some gear that would look like a work of art on the fireplace mantle.....in reality, that's all it has going for it....besides a ton of unnecessary noise.

The math equation is becoming this simple: Take out the quiet core = close the trail or the track.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i rode all day with my biggun and a buddy with an HMF on his 450r... both over 100db... the warden just watched us go around the track...
i know in some places sound is an issue... but if it isnt... then it doesnt matter how loud you are.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Noise is definately becoming a factor. Almost all of the riding areas around here are being closed down either due to noise or dust in some cases both. I don't agree with their logic but someone does. Unfortunately we have proof out here. We were here first but they are winning.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hozed, I have one word to add the the end of your post. Yet.

Sound testing, be pro-active now, so you're jaw won't hit the ground in a re-active state when your riding area and tracks are closed.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i totally see your point... but until then... i ride loud.
one thing you gotta understand about up here is... people mind there own business... who cares if you here a noise 5 miles out in the woods... it aint gonna hurt you.. so why b!tch? thats how alot of people think up here.

and if any1 does complain... it will probably be all the yuppies that walk there dogs in the road and dont move outa the way.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hozed
i totally see your point... but until then... i ride loud.
one thing you gotta understand about up here is... people mind there own business... who cares if you here a noise 5 miles out in the woods... it aint gonna hurt you.. so why b!tch? thats how alot of people think up here.

and if any1 does complain... it will probably be all the yuppies that walk there dogs in the road and dont move outa the way.
Hozed,

You obviously missed the hint that Modquad gave you. From your post, are you saying that you ride loud or don't ride at all? It sure looks that way to me. It's also a pi$$ poor attitude. It doesn't matter who's around or who sees you riding. Noise is one of the biggest reasons riding areas are shut down.

You also mention that everyone around there minds their own business. Have you gone door to door and done a survey? I'd like to see the results. You may think that no one cares how loud your pipes are, but I sure as he11 do. The impression you make there, reflects on everyone else nation wide.

One last word of advice,

pull your head out of your tailpipe and re-insert it into the other.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol... i say that because i bought a loud pipe... i didnt buy a loud pipe just to be loud.. i just bought the pipe that gave the most power at the time. and where i ride there are no houses around... and if there are i take it easy on the throttle... if people here me... its just off in the distance. nothing to complain about. i am respectful to others around me.

and i do get his point... but at this moment it doesnt apply to me... until it does... i aint gonna go out and buy a new exhaust.
there... is that worded better?
can i now take this rusty head pipe out of my ***?

Old 03-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

sorry to tell you this, but it does apply to you every time you start your machine. You may be 5 miles from the nearest house, but if someone jogs within a mile and hears you, do they know what type of terrain you're on? Possibly not. They may hear you through a wooded area and think you're tearing up the land.

To you're last question, sure, put it back where it belongs.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

For the minimal power gains at the expense of being twice as loud, it's just not worth it..........I run the W/Bros on one of my preds (with 8-9 disks, you don't need 12-15 disks like I've heard other people run), and still the stocker pipe on the other pred (though the stocker has been moded a bit for more power yet no more noise) ....after a long trail ride, the constant assault of noise even from the mid-level W/B starts to give you a head-ache.........I've rode with guys with Big Buns, errr Guns, and HMF pipes that simply rip your head off with noise.

Unless you're on a sanctioned race track in a competition setting, I just don't see the advantage of getting 1-2% more power (maybe 1-2 horsepower) at the expense of twice the sound level output.

A WELL TUNED quieter exhaust, makes more power that a loud pipe with the wrong jetting.

Unless your a back woods Alabama hick named Rufus, Bubba, or Skeeter, Loud doesn't equate to more power. But some people haven't figured that out yet.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

im with hozed on this, no one cares about it here either. Everything is loud, we have an airboat, tractors, semis, and quads. There is no restriction on how loud they are either. Most people around here will say something if they don't like it, and until then you just figure it is fine. I have a DNR who lives about a mile down the road from me, and she hears me riding all the time, and hasn't said a word to me yet. I think she actually enjoys that I get that much fun out of the land. I have a pure pipe with the plates taken out of it, and it is loud and I like it!!

Quick Reply: DMC Alien or Yoshimura for Predator?