Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PRIMARY CLUTCH HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004 | 01:37 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default PRIMARY CLUTCH HELP!!!!

Help Bubba or anyone with lots of clutch experience. I just put on a new belt and cleaned my clutches and then went for a spin with the cover off. I noticed that the primary is only shifting about 3/4 of the way out. I dont understand why. I would think that I am losing alot of top speed. No matter how I set the secondary clutch spring the results are the same. Why wont my primary shift out! Is the primary spring to stiff,weights to light or what. I have the AAEN kit with a silver polaris spring, modified stock weights and HPD gold secondary.

Old 03-14-2004 | 02:43 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Bump!

Old 03-14-2004 | 08:31 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Anyone?

Old 03-14-2004 | 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Don't know what it was for sure, but I just put a new belt on my scrambler and it wouldn't go as fast as before, it was like it would wind out and not go anywhere. Once it warmed up and I rode the heck out of it for a bit, it started working ok. Hope that helps....

Old 03-14-2004 | 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yes your primary spring could be to stiff to allow full shift out or adding some weight will also help. I put the spring in that gives me the stall rpm I want and then keep adding weight untill it shifts out all the way. the weight will not change the stall rpm nearly as much as the spring. but heaver weights will lower stall a little so you may have to go back and fine tune your stall rpm with the spring after you get enough weight to the clutch. as a rule I put as much weight to the clutch as possable without pulling the rpm's down. This ensures full shiftout and good belt grip.
Good luck I ended up with a box full of weights and springs to get mine right!

Jeff
03 tb 250

Old 03-15-2004 | 04:02 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

?

Old 03-15-2004 | 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

dose your quad feel slower or the same as it did before you put on the new belt.If you put on the old belt(if you have one)Dose it work right and shift all the way out.
the reason why i ask is because maybe you got the wrong belt.Maybe it's to tight(is it hard to shift into reverse)
Also if ou broke our old belt you might have broen a primary clutch button. If that happens it will bind up and not shift out.How is your primary clutch dose it hav ply in it.
If all seems fine with what I wrote,Then I would say you have a weight promblem or to hard of a spring .
YOU shold Just PM-- BUBBA!!! HE has helped me better then the Aaen clutch tuning hand book.Bubba is the best of this so ask him.

Thanks-- matt

Old 03-15-2004 | 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

So you have a silver primary spring a gold secondary how are you stock weights modified I assuming you lightened them? This may be why it's not shifting all the way out I would start by adding some weight. Sorry if the last post was confuseing But I think that adding some weight is a step in the right direction.

Jeff

Old 03-15-2004 | 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

2many, did Aaen modify the stock weights for more engagement, or did they recurve them? Also just a thought, have you changed the gearing any on the bike? Too high of a gear will not allow full shift out unless you hang it open for a very long distance. I would say that you might need to increase spring on the primary as well as the weights themselves. That will let the engagement work correctly as well as keeping the rpms within the desired range on the top end. But the heavier weights will overcome the spring better than the lighter ones will, even a stiffer spring rate. Do you have the specs on your weights? Also I would need to know what RPM the pipe is designed to run at.I would personally like to see you ditch the silver spring and replace it with a blue.That would get the engagement to where I would like to see it, but the top shift out pressure would still be the same. Also I think like Jeff said you might try to go back to a stock set of weights and see what happens. I would go with a spring and maybe 2 grams of weight increase and try it out. Every combo is different, but I really believe that once you put the blue in there with that porting that you will like it a lot better. Bubba

Old 03-15-2004 | 08:10 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Come to think of it I did change my back tires this winter and went 1 size bigger. I went with 23x11x10 instead of 22x11x10. Side by side there is a very noticeable difference in size. The clutch kit that AAEN uses with the pipe is a Polaris silver with modified stock G weights. Not sure what gram the stock weights are. I dont even know what the specs are on the spring. I do know that I have great bottom end and would like to keep it there. The engagement is higher than the Polariswhite. I have the secondary set on 2-2. Maybe the tire size was to much of a change and it wont let it shift out unless I am going downhill. I did not buy the clutch kit from AAEN because I knew what they used so I bought the parts my self and saved about $50 bucks. The only thing with the weights is that they shaved 1 corner (the inside corner) down on the weights. I then came home and put in 55g weights and it seemed to help shift out but then lost bottom end and still did not shift out all the way but close. Maybe if I put the stock modified weights in with the Polaris silver and then went bigger on the rear sprocket it will make up for the bigger tires. I guess even then I wont get the top speed that it is supposed to. It might shift out all the way but the bigger rear sprocket will put me right where I am at now.

Quick Reply: PRIMARY CLUTCH HELP!!!!