Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Disc Brakes, Ideas to make them laster longer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc Brakes, Ideas to make them laster longer.

Getting so sick of replacing disc brakes every 300 miles, had some ideas that may help with wear. Thought I post em to see if they were even worth trying. Also, what ever happened to Gary Box and his brass brake pads? His website does not come up anymore. Well here are some Idea's I came up with.

1. Everyone says dirt and sand gets in between the disc and the pads which causes them to wear out so fast. So maybe a rubber wiper to help wipe off the grit?

2. Springs to push the pads father apart so they dont ride so close to the disc?

Old 03-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Every 300 miles? I have friends who have several thousand miles on their quads and have not replaced the pads yet and a couple who are almost to the thousand mark.

I am approaching the 300 hundred mark and they look brandnew, could be because I use to ride a King Quad that would eat a set of brake shoes(rear) in the first couple of hours so I would not use brakes unless it was absolutely needed, otherwise I would use first and second gear. I am applying the same principal for my new beltdriven quad, let off the gas and she slows down.

The one thing you might do is not use them as much, let the gearing slow you down. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm still running the original brakes on the Trail Boss. Riding in a lot of wooded areas, and through lots of dirt and water. I would say I use the brakes normally, occasional hard brake (occasional no brake, used a tree to stop). Have heard some just go through brakes more than others. BTW, brakes are cheaper than bumpers. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Idea number 2 would make it worse. It would let too much get between stuff. My suggestion would be to carry along some clean water, and when youre done muddin, rinse the brakes clean, roll it forward a bit, and rinse some more. If you put rubber wipers on, I think that would trap as much crap, behind it, as it would wipe away.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

On my old SP335, I had the brake pads replaced at right around the 2,600 mile mark. I don't know why you would have to replace yours so often. On my SP500 I have 1,800 miles on it and I am still on my original brake pads. I rode my 335 aggresively so its not like I never used the brakes.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Brakes...What brakes?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I know with my 98 scrambler me an my friend went throught brake pads fast at first. Seemed like every time we turned around they were getting bad.Mine lasted long them his but then he is a hard an fast rider where he is harder on the machine where I was easyer an fast. So if you are more of the hard fast rider i think you will go throught more brake shoes.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Which brakes are you burning up in 300 miles? If it's the fronts make sure your not driving with the parking brake engaged(my wife likes to do this every now and then [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] )If it's the rear make sure you are not riding with your feet sitting on the rear brake pedal.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer

Nope I check the brakes everytime I take off. The whole reason is I play in the mud alot. If you do a search on brakes you will see over the years I am not the only who has complained about this problem. I have the upgrade kit from polaris, which now my rotors now do not get scratched up. But the pads still wear quick. I buy the sinstered(spelling) pads the heavy duty kind, I have tried both polaris heavy duty and epi heavy duty pads. Only thing I have not tried is the brass brakes that Gary Box use to make. I know this may seem extreme that my pads wear that quick. But after doing a search on the forum I do not beleive I am alone.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

I got the same problem on my 02 sportsman 400 I have 3000 miles on it and am going to put the 4th set of front brakes on it this week. I have replaced the rear brakes only once. I have figured out that this is just the way it is. You want to play, you have to pay![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]: