Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Prairie 400 4x4 or Forman ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2000, 10:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've narrowed the field down to these two. The Honda is only $300 more then the Kaw. I really wanted a Kodiak but the extra $1000 it would take me to get one puts it out of my impatient reach so I didn't even test drive it.
I like the fit of both machines. I really like the not shifting of the Kaw and the Kaw was easier to drive (but the test drive of each was my first on any Quad so wasnt really knowing what to expect but Forman was more difficult to turn).
I don't like were the winch mounts on the Kaw, it seems much better protected on the Honda. Also I liked the extra headlight on the Honda. But the Kaw has disc brakes in front and well protected liquid cooling, where the Honda has drums and oil cooler. Its like six of one half a dozen of the other. The Honda seems peppier then the Kaw, but that was comparing a lower 1st gear to an auto in high range so I don't know if that was a fair comparision. The Honda has better engine braking, but the Kaw has a bigger gas tank. The decision is driving me crazy. I quess I'm wondering if there is somthing that I am overlooking that would make one stand tall above the other and make my choice much easier.

Old 09-09-2000, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your preference alone should drive your decision, Ursus, they are both excellent machines.

If riding comfort makes a difference, I believe the Prairie, with its swing-axle semi-independent rear suspension and big, well-padded saddle, has an edge over the mono-shocked swing-arm Honda.

I'd expect the Honda to deliver more power, given its larger engine.

While the Prairie was "Quad of the Year" upon its introduction (whatever that means), I'd expect the Honda to hold resale value better (if that factor bears any importance--check www.kbb.com).

For a first-time quad rider/buyer, you've got a pretty good handle on things: e.g., the distinction between the winch mounts (the Prairie's radiator requires a protruding mount).

Follow your instincts; you won't be disappointed in your choice of either the Honda or the Kawasaki, given one's a gear-driven electric-shifter and the other an "automatic."

Tree Farmer

Old 09-13-2000, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

URSUS I AM IN THE SAME SPOT. I ALSO WANT TO CHACK OUT THE POLARIS SP MAN 400. I WORK WITH FOUR GUYS THAT HAVE THE PRAIRIE AND THEY LOVE EM. IN NORTHERN MN THE HONDA IS HIGHER PRICED THAN THE KODIAK. THE FOREMAN IS ABOUT 6000.00 AND THE KODIAK IS 5800.00. THE PRAIRIE IS 5600.00 AND THE NEW POLARIS IS 5700.00 IF I HAD TO PICK TODAY ID GO WITH THE KAWI. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GET HAPPY TRAILS

Old 09-13-2000, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ursus, you're definately on the right track. You've pointed out some of the distinctions between the two, and TF added a few other important characteristics. Ride comfort is a big issue, and for me, the Honda felt a little too cramped for comfort. I've broken my back before, and the way I felt in the seated position, I definately wouldn't have lasted long. You may want to consider what type of terrain you'll be in the most. If you're in really steep hills, you may want to lean towards the Honda a little more. The Kawi's EBS is fairly non-existant. At least from what I've seen, it couldn't even hold itself on the slight incline at the dealer. If you will be in a lot of steep hills, it may tend to run away from you, and thus require more actual breaking. If you'll be in more flat-land area's, this won't be an issue at all for you.

Another thing to consider is the racks. Not really a big thing, more personal preference, but if you plan to carry a lot of gear, the Honda may be better with the steel racks. I personnally don't care for plastic racks myself-such as on the Kawi-but again, that's personal preference.

Take a look at who's got the best winch deal as well, that is probably something you will want to have. I would recommend to all 4x4 quads that they have a winch and ****** block. Also, if you plan to modify the quad, such as larger tires, lift, performance kit, etc., the Honda has the edge here as well. There are many more aftermarket parts for Honda than nearly anything else out there, though there still are plenty for the Kawi.

Both are great machines. I don't think there is a bad machine out there no matter what you look at. I guess I'd have to say to go over each one with a fine tooth comb, see which features you find the most important to you. Go drive each of them a couple different times, see which you feel most comfortable on. Granted, you really can't get a good feel of the machine at the dealer, but the more they'll let you ride, the better it will be. Try a couple different dealers, if possible, see who treats you the best. If you really can't decide between the two, this may be the deciding factor. If you can save $300, but have to sacrifice service in the long run, it may very well be worth spending the extra $300 to know you'll be taken care of should something go wrong, if you know what I mean.

Best of luck with the decision, let us know what you come up with!

Mike

Old 09-13-2000, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the replies.
I think I am going to go with the Prairie. It was more comfortable. Plus it would be simpler for my wife to operate should that need arise. I will know for sure by this time next week, but I'm 95% sure the Prairie is going to be my pick.
Thanks again for help

Old 09-26-2000, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

Ursus
I like the auto because you put it in gear and forget it. It is a pain trying to figure out what gear the be in when you hit the ruff area's and hills. It also shines in the tight trail since you can consentrate on the trail not what gear you need to be in. I have had two Prairie 400 4X4's for tree years and have every intention of getting a 650 Prairie when they come out because the 400 has been so reliable.
Wayne B

Old 09-28-2000, 03:44 AM
Trailblazer

HONDA SUCKS go with KODIAK !! ATV OF THE YEAR! or.. the Kawasaki .. I ride only 3 Kinds of ATVs YAMAHA, KAWASAKI or SUZUKI

Old 09-28-2000, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

Ursus,
I was in a similar position when looking to buy my first quad. I wanted a lot of power and not a huge price tag. I looked at the prairie briefly, but I did not like the belt drive. Shaft drive was the only way I would go. That brought me to the Foreman 450S or the Suzuki Quadrunner 500. I like the ride of both, the foreman felt a little more comfortable. You kind of have to reach out for the handle bars of the Suzuki. Suzuki has more power, especially when in low range, 1st gear. Much more torque. Both are shaft drive. The bottom line came down to the price of the two. The dealer wouldn't come down on the Honda, and dropped the price from 6299 to 5400 on the Suzuki. (I had an ad from another dealer about 150 miles away and he honored it). I think you will like the Prairie, just take care of it if you drive in deep water or mud a lot. An ounce of preventive maintenance will go a long way.

Old 09-29-2000, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Don't diss HONDA!!!....Their are alot of older Honda's out there still running well like mine...the kawasakis are too heavy...the Yamaha's are pretty good but Honda has the most reliable and durable machines, they are also the best selling quads.

Old 10-01-2000, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a prarie 300 4x4 and love it, the winch mount is much better protected than the 400, it's behind the ftont bumper, I recommend you go with the 300 instead
the engine size, liquid cooling, digital instruments and a krappy winch mount location are the only diffrences between the two machines
save the extra $$ savings for a winch and reverse lights